Community Tip - Fixing the DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN error

CommunityTip

Error
Try the suggestions in this Community Tip to help you fix DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN.

Background
NXDOMAIN stands for non-existent domain. When a domain cannot be resolved it is an issue with the DNS servers or the domain name is newly registered or not yet registered at all. NXDOMAIN can also take place due to network or DNS server problems. A response other than a valid IP address (e.g., timeout, SERVFAIL, NXDOMAIN or NOERROR) most likely points to the origin as the source of your issue. When this happens, you’ll seee “DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN” or “ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED”.

Quick Fix Ideas

1. The domain is not pointed to Cloudflare name servers. Contact your domain registrar and ask that they point the domain to your Cloudflare nameservers.

2. DNS propagation needs some time, wait for recent changes to take effect.

3. There is no subdomain configured in your DNS settings or the orgin IP address that was specfied in your DNS tab is incorrect.

4. If example.com does not resolve, that may indicate there is no A record for the naked domain. Go to your DNS tab and create an A record with “@” as name and your origin IP address as the value.

5. If you are seeing the error and experiencing slow load times, note that Cloudflare does not cache HTML by default. When a request is made to the HTML, Cloudflare will need to forward the request to your origin and respond it back to your visitors. To improve the loading time, you may consider caching the HTML only at Cloudflare. How do I cache static HTML? Cloudflare will serve the content to your visitors instead.

Lite Reading

Background Resources
Knowledge Base
YouTube

Research The Issue
Community
Google

If You Need More Help
This community of other Cloudflare users may be able to assist you, if not, login to Cloudflare and then contact Cloudflare Support. When you contact support, make sure to include as much of this information as possible: a traceroute from any impacted user, copy the output of example.com/cdn-cgi/trace, copy the output from $ dig example.com, domain name, error messages, screen shots, and/or HAR file(s).

Expert Comments Appreciated
This Community Tip will remain open for input from Community experts and those familiar with this issue. We really appreciate comments that start with words like: “The three things I always try”, or “Do this first” or “In my experience”.

This is a Cloudflare Community Tip, to review past tips click here.

Getting this error: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
Domain Dns Error
Website down after updating to cloudflare nameservers
Error code 1049, c21gold.al is not a registered domain? But i am very sure it is a registered domain
Domain Transferred to CF De-Activated, Website Replaced by Advertising
pinned #2

closed #3

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.