Community Tip - DNS & Network FAQ Read Me First

Please Read Before Posting

Please review this post and the ones linked and use the :search: in the top right to search for your issue. This Community Tip has questions and answers for the most frequently asked questions about DNS & Networking, the :search: will reveal additional advice & insight.

Background
The DNS & Network category covers topics like IP address, name servers, DNSSEC, CNAME Flattening, :orange: & :grey: and adding DNS records.

FAQ & A

Name Server & Activation Questions

My name servers have not changed, but I made the change. Why not?

Not an active zone. Why?

1. You changed your name servers with your hosting provider, not with your Domain Registrar
  2. There is a typo in your name servers
  3. The change is starting to propagate
  4. DNSSEC is active on the domain and the name server change will not take effect until it is removed
  5. You changed your name servers in cpanel, not at your registrar
  6. Your name servers were set properly, but you moved your domain to Cloudflare Registrar and your former registrar reverted to the old name servers on your way out the door
  7. You changed your name servers to Cloudflare, but you did not +Add zone to Cloudflare
  8. There is a hold with your domain that prevents changes from taking effect

Nameserver Activation Research Resources

CommunityTips - The definitive resource for troubleshooting help.
ExpertTips - Search posts from experts and those in the know.
Site Search - Know before your post, include #CommunityTip in your search.
Help Center - Insight into all things Cloudflare
Detailed DNS FAQ - Still have questions? Review the FAQ
Learning Center - Background on the basics.

Name Server Change Questions

Where do I change my name servers?

1. At your domain registrar.
  2. If you’ve reviewed the list of popular domain registrars and don’t see yours listed or you don’t know your domain registrar, do an ICANN search to identify the registrar.
  3. You added your name servers as DNS records to the DNS tab of the Cloudflare dashboard. This is not correct, you need to change the name servers from those provided by your domain registrar to those provided by Cloudflare.
  4. You added your Cloudflare name servers properly at your registrar but have left one or more of your old name servers in place.

Nameserver Change Research

ExpertTips- Search posts from experts and those in the know,
CommunityTips - The definitive resource for troubleshooting help.
Site Search - Prepare before you post, include #CommunityTip in your search.
Help Center - Insight into all things Cloudflare
Detailed DNS FAQ - Still have questions? Review the FAQ

Orange & Grey Cloud Questions

What do orange & grey clouds mean on the DNS tab?

How do I orange cloud a DNS record?

What DNS records should have an orange cloud?

1. A :orange: means your web traffic is running through Cloudflare making your site faster, safer, and smarter. A :grey: your web traffic not running through Cloudflare.
  2. Click an :orange: to turn it :grey: and click a :grey: to turn it :orange:.
  3. Only A and CNAME over web traffic ports (such as 80 and 443) records have the option to be powered by Cloudflare, meaning that only A, AAAA, and CNAME records have the option of an orange cloud.
  4. However, not all A, AAAA, and CNAME records are appropriate to pass through Cloudflare. Cloudflare makes suggestions for which records should be orange, but you can easily change this by clicking on the cloud.
  5. To decide which records pass through the Cloudflare network, you need to understand what type of content appears on that subdomain.
  6. You should enable Cloudflare for any subdomain that gets web traffic.
  7. You should not enable :orange: Cloudflare for subdomains that handle non-web traffic, such as mail, ftp, and ssh. These types of records should be marked by a :grey:.

Orange & Grey Cloud Research Resources

ExpertTips - Search posts from experts and those in the know,
CommunityTutorial - Troubleshooting tips from the Community.
Site Search - Prepare before you post, include #CommunityTip in your search.
Help Center - Insight into all things Cloudflare.
Detailed DNS FAQ - Still have questions? Review the FAQ.
Tutorial - Enabling the ‘Orange Cloud’

Light Reading
DNS
Clouds

Research The Issue
YouTube
Community
Google

If You Need More Help
This community of other Cloudflare users may be able to assist you, when you post, make sure to indicate what research and remediation steps you have taken in order to help the Community help you.

To reach support, login to Cloudflare and then contact Cloudflare Support. When you contact support, make sure to include as much of this information as possible: the specific error message you are seeing, the URLs this is happening on, screen shot of the error, Ray ID, steps to reproduce the error, and HAR file(s). Please indicate what you’ve tried in order to help Customer Support help you.

Expert Comments Appreciated
This Community Tip will remain open for input from Community experts and those familiar with this issue. We really appreciate comments like: “What are the three things to always try”, or “Do this first” or “In my experience”.

This is a Cloudflare Community Tip, to review other tips, click here.

2 Likes