Community Tip - Best Practices For Setting up and Using Two-factor authentication

CommunityTip

Error
Try the suggestions in this Community Tip for best practices to avoid issues with two-factor authentication and to troubleshoot any issues you may have using 2FA.

Background
Two-factor authentication (2FA) adds an extra layer of security to your Cloudflare account. Cloudflare strongly recommends that all users take advantage of this feature when logging in to the Cloudflare dashboard. If you need to disable two-factor authentication at a later time, you can do so in the My Profile page of the Cloudflare dashboard.

Quick Fix Ideas

1. If you changed your smartphone and are using Authy for Two-Factor Authentication, as soon as you replace your handset, reset your phone at Authy.

2. If you are using Google Authenticator or TOTP for Two-Factor Authentication, when you first setup Two-Factor Authentication, you received a backup code in case you lost your phone or got a new one. On your new phone, enter the backup code into Google Authenticator or into the TOTP app you were using in order to sync it with your Cloudflare account.

3. If you have changed your phone number for two factor authentication, you only need to take action if you use Authy. Please go to the changed phone number option at Authy. To approve the new number, there will be a delay of a few days. The Authy article gives a few other options to avoid the delay. If you changed phones and are reinstalling your Google Authenticator or TOTP app, follow the instructions here.

4. During activation of two factor authentication, you will be given a few backup codes that you should write down and store in a safe place. If you do not have these codes, you should contact Cloudflare Support, this Community cannot assist you in recovering access.

5. Sometimes, emails sent by Cloudflare are flagged as spam by the recipient email service. If you are expecting an authentication token, you should check the spam folder for any Cloudflare emails and configure a filter to allow Cloudflare emails from: [email protected]. Other times the emails are rejected by the recipient email service. Cloudflare will try again but after a few tries it will flag the email and no further emails will be sent to that recipient. If after ensuring your email service is not flagging Cloudflare you still do not receive an email, please contact Cloudflare Support.

6. If these quick fix ideas don’t help and you need to contact Cloudflare Support to recover access to your account, include as much of this information as possible:

• The list of domains (1 or more) in your account
  • The IP address(es) for the web server(s) associated with each those domain(s) (1 or more)
  • Who your hosting provider is for each of those domain(s) (1 or more)
  • What your original name servers were for each of those domain(s) (1 or more)
  • For Authy, the phone number you used to activate Authy on your Cloudflare account
  1. If you unable to locate the information above, you’ll have to transfer the domain to a new account.

Lite Reading

Background Resources
Knowledge Base
YouTube

Research The Issue
Community
Google
Blog

If You Need More Help
This community of other Cloudflare users may be able to assist you, if not, the best way to reach Cloudflare Customer Support is always to login to Cloudflare and then contact Cloudflare Support. When you contact support, make sure to include as much of the information from Quick Fix Idea 6. If you are unable to login, email from the address associated with your Cloudflare account to mail AT cloudflare DOT com.

Expert Comments Appreciated
This Community Tip will remain open for input from Community experts and those familiar with this issue. We really appreciate comments that start with words like: “The three things I always try”, or “Do this first” or “In my experience”.

This is a Cloudflare Community Tip, to review past tips click here.

0 Likes

Lost backup codes for 2FA
Phone broke - lost Google Auth 2-factor and don't have backup code
Lost the two-factor auth app, how can I access my account now?
Authentication emails
How to reset Two factor authentication
Unable to disable 2fa on my account
Contact support Urgent
Two Factor Authentication
I can't login. I get a prompt to provide 2FA value but never get the token delivered to me
Hi I got problem Two Auth App
Moving two form authentication to new phone when 2 form auth is required - help
Impossible input my second factor authentication code?
Lost Access To Backup Codes In Google Authenticator 2FA
pinned #2
0 Likes

closed #3

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes