CNAMEs are not being picked up even though records are there?

Hi,

Couldn’t seem to find a solution online nor in the community so hopefully someone has an idea:

I’m trying to set up a return-path record for Postmark (see below)

However, Postmark cannot verify it (/ cannot detect it?). And when I run a DNS check on dnschecker.org (using Cloudflare servers) it says that there are no CNAME records!

Granted, it’s been less than 24 hours since I set up the domain on Cloudflare but when I added TXT and MX records they were almost immediately picked up by Postmark and DNS Checkers. In the past, when I inserted pm-bounces for other domains on Cloudflare I didn’t have any issues, but the last time I did it was over a year ago so maybe something has changed?

Any ideas what might be happening/how it can be fixed are greatly appreciated.

Resolves just fine for me.

dig pm-bounces.upsporter.com

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> pm-bounces.upsporter.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 10435
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1232
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;pm-bounces.upsporter.com.	IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
pm-bounces.upsporter.com. 300	IN	CNAME	pm.mtasv.net.
pm.mtasv.net.		86400	IN	A	138.197.30.54

;; Query time: 53 msec
;; SERVER: 172.64.36.1#53(172.64.36.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Jun 16 09:48:27 EDT 2023
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 95
1 Like

Thanks for the really quick response! AND **@#!? I’m cursed/dumb. Sorry for taking your time. I’ve now just tried re-verifying on Postmark and now it verified. At least https://dnschecker.org/all-dns-records-of-domain.php?query=upsporter.com&rtype=ALL&dns=cloudflare still is not detecting it but I guess they’ve cached their results.

I’ll go hide in a hole.

That query is looking for all records of the root domain. There is no (supported) external command to list all DNS records for a zone, you need to query for the specific one you want an answer on.

Ah, so that’s why the site lets you pick the Tool. I had checked the specific cname lookup on that site https://dnschecker.org/cname-lookup.php?query=upsporter.com&dns=cloudflare and on whatsmydns before posting. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.