CName records suddenly stopped working

The CNAME records for my website which I’ve been using since September have suddenly stopped working. I was configuring Supervisor/Nginx on my server and after restarting, I noticed that my CNAME subdomain suddenly stopped resolving to that server. I tried accessing the server directly through the original URL and it seems like that works so I think the issue might be with Cloudflare.

I’ve also noticed that not just the CNAME to my server, but all the CNAME records, including those to Netlify deployments or Mailgun servers have stopped working. I’m not sure why this is the case since I didn’t change anything until I noticed the downtime.

Additional information that might be relevant is that the CNAME records route to external servers (i.e. not on the same domain e.g. netlify, mailgun, or my own server), TTL=auto, proxy status = proxied (orange)

Also, if I query this subdomain (supposed to resolve to a Netlify app which currently works if queried directly) on Postman, I get a default page from namecheap but if I query it through my browser, I get an ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error. I get similar results for other CNAME subdomains which are supposed to resolve to my own server or mailgun

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I’m not sure what you are expecting to see, but when I nslookup course.scottylabs.org I am receiving a response

course.scottylabs.org is supposed to resolve to scottylabs-course.netlify.app

In your domain settings on Namecheap, do you have your nameservers set to the ones that Cloudflare provided you?

They are not using Cloudflare nameservers.

1 Like

Hi, turns out it was because our domain had expired. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.