CNAME record not propagating after A record entered

I entered an A record by accident when adding a new record to my domain. I then removed the A record and then added the proper CNAME record and that CNAME record isn’t propagating. Typically, changing records is pretty fast, but for some reason, there isn’t one location that has my CNAME record.

What could be the cause for this and how can I fix it?

Hi @drew1,

Without knowing the domain and the record you configured, it’s difficult to say.

I would guess it may have something to do with CNAME Flattening, though:

I thought it might have something to do with the flattening. Here is an image of the records:

Seeing as there isn’t an A record in there anymore, will the CNAME record be updated once the A record expires or is removed?

Looking at the domain, it looks like it is due to CNAME Flattening at the root domain.

www.mindfulmovement100.com shows the CNAME to 100-days-of-mindful-movement.onrender.com.

mindfulmovement100.com does show an A record due to the flattening - you can’t have a CNAME on the root domain, hence why the flattening is necessary. This shouldn’t cause you an issue, and the site seems to be working OK at the moment.

The site on the other end of the redirect is working fine, but I was interested using the domain that I configured through Cloudflare.

I can access the origin site fine, but when I try to go through my domain, I’m getting “ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED” notifications. I have some other sites that I configured in this same manner where a CNAME at the root (on Cloudflare) points to a render server.

I’m just not sure why this would be causing me issues. I know enough to be dangerous about DNS but my area of expertise is engineering and am looking for some clarity.

I’m assuming that A record is from the origin site due to the flattening and eventual resolution… would this be an issue at the origin site?

Are we talking about mindfulmovement100.com here?

I seem to be able to access it OK:

Woahhh, this has to be something with my router then. I just disconnected from my home network and everything resolved fine.

Working on a Sunday has me going insane.

Yeah, must be something cached on your end. Glad it is working, anyway!

Thanks for the help my man!

1 Like

No problem, please just let us know if you have any further questions! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.