CNAME pointed to a xxx.xxxxx.xxxxx

Hello,

I created a CNAME entry and my host provided the following target (sample) : xxxxxxx.xxx.ghst.net. with a dot ’ . ’ at the end.
But when i put this entry, the dot ’ . ’ doesn’t appears in the CNAME record after validating the CNAME entry. Is it only not showing but validated ? or it is not possible to get target with a dot ’ . ’ at the end ?

thanks !

The trailing period is implicit in the context of DNS and there actually shouldn’t be an issue.

Why do you think it is an issue? Yandex?

You don’t need to enter dot at last.

Thanks for your answer.
This CNAME entry is for a subdomain i created and it doesn’t works actually. In my host panel there is a message : recquired action → add this to the DNS :

ide 10800 IN CNAME xxxxxxx.sd5.ghst.net.

with an explicit warning : don’t forget the dot ’ . ’ at the end of entry
As the subdomain doesn’t work for the moment i’m wondering if my CNAME is good or not, (the cloud is orange).

Maybe i have to wait ?

Does not work is not exactly a precise description.

As for the period, no you don’t need that. What’s the hostname in question?

That will be most likely the reason. Unproxy that.

Well, the subdomain recquire an action to be active, action that i describe uin my previous message. Actyally it is not active.
When i crawl to the subdomain there is a 525 error.

1 Like

Yep ! It works now !!
So i have to leave the subdomain unproxied right ?

Seems that would be necessary for the service to work.

But i have the same error when i crawl the subdomain : 525 SSL handshake failed
I added a SSL certificate for this subdomain so i don’t know what’s wrong now.

Assuming the record is not proxied you should not get any Cloudflare message as that is not going via Cloudflare in the first place. You probably simply have to wait for propagation.

Also, a 525 would indicate you have a broken SSL setup on your server, you might want to fix that too.

1 Like

Thank you very much.
It works now.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.