CNAME issues - Sorry if already posted

I do aplogise if this has already been addressed. I understand that cloudflare does not do url masking.
So I placed a cname redirect.

for example: landing.domain1 goes to another domain2.
But cloudflare seems to be blocking it.

if i go directly to domain2 it loads.
it just seems to fail when i use the cname thats created.

cname: landing.domain1 and target is fullpath on domain2.

Error:

Error 1016

Ray ID: 69f008a1cca46a6c • 2021-10-16 08:49:24 UTC

Origin DNS error

What happened?

You’ve requested a page on a website (landing.aboriginalelements.com.au) that is on the Cloudflare network. Cloudflare is currently unable to resolve your requested domain (landing.aboriginalelements.com.au).

What can I do?

If you are a visitor of this website:
Please try again in a few minutes.

If you are the owner of this website:
Check your DNS settings. If you are using a CNAME origin record, make sure it is valid and resolvable. Additional troubleshooting information here.

I believe this happens because the CNAME works slightly different. Without going into too much detail, the CNAME is used when trying to figure out the destination at the DNS level. The browser will only care about the final result: the IP addresses. When it is time to send an actual HTTP request, the fact that you have this CNAME has not carried over from DNS to HTTP so to speak. So the CNAME just provides an easier way to configure your DNS settings.

You might be interested in “Page rules”, though. You can find them under “Rules” on the dashboard. There you can for example specify “Forwarding URL”.

If you want to mask the URL, you will probably need to come up with your own solution though. Either configure the origin server to handle both domains in the preferred way (serve same content, I guess), or maybe some HTML/Javascript page that can load the page (I guess that’s essentially how masking would work).

Thank you so much for the response. I tried this solution but URL redirect will not work for me as its 2 different domains. The URL masking I can do via htaccess or a wordpress plugin. So I am not concerned about that. It is more the traffic redirect.

So I created a test environment.
landing.sharara.com.au should redirect to sharara.landingmate.biz

So if I go to sharara.landingmate.biz → Site loads.
I have created a cname record on for landing.sharara.com.au → target landing.sharara.com.au
I created an A name record for sharara.landingmate.biz

Hope that makes better sense

Not entirely sure what the goal is here, but you seem to be running into a different error with this test setup, Error 1001: DNS resolution error.

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029779472-Troubleshooting-Cloudflare-1XXX-errors#error1001

In this case it seems like you have a domain that’s not on Cloudflare, pointing to a domain that is. The first domain would need to be forwarded/redirected by other means. The CNAME is not providing forwarding/redirection. The end result is that Cloudflare gets confused since they don’t know anything about the first domain, which is the only domain they will see when the HTTP request arrives.

Hi Svanlund,

I short, I am trying to create a platform for landing pages. Instead of creating landing pages in different environments. I wanted to try and create it under the one domain so I can process drive things allot easier so created this project.

So client1.landingmate.biz client2.landingmate.biz

As not everyone is on cloudflare. I created a few domains. Domains inside cloudflare and outside.
This way all I need to do is add a cname record on customer domains.
saves me having to stuff around and migrate it to cloudflare and the rest.

I just seem to be getting stuck at this part. The page rules work brilliantly when its all within cloudflare. So now I am trying to see the domains that are not on cloudflare. the other accounts are all on cpanel.

Appreciate your time

It sounds like you want to host pages for other people’s domains. This gets into higher end products such as SaaS and Enterprise Plans.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. I’m new here, but it seems like they are expanding it to non-Enterprise customers, which can be a good thing if you’re more of a small shop :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you heaps for that. I will have a deeper look into this.

1 Like

Defiantly looks to be positive signs. Thank you again for taking the time out to respond. Appreciate it.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.