Cloudlare DNS - `nslookup` fails for IPv6 DNS sometimes, but always works for IPv4 DNS

No, when I got the output of mtr , I didn’t notice any packet loss. I was able to resolve DNS lookups as seen in the output.

I see. Hm it would be helpful for us to see the traceroute when you experience packet loss, as it’s difficult to visualize the problems on path. Same with the +tls, it would be useful to know if it works with +tls when it doesn’t work without it (in this case it’s probably not routing, but interception/prioritization).

I faced the issue only with Cloudflare DNS and not Google DNS. I’ve noticed all my IPv4 go to BLR. I’m in BLR as well. But IPv6 always keeps changing between IPv4 and IPv6.

Yeah, sorry what I meant is - did you experience the packet loss only when connected to BLR or MAA PoPs, or both? It’s quite likely you won’t experience problems with 2001:4860:4860::8844 while experiencing problems with 2606:4700:4700::1111 as the routing is not the same. The key is to figure out where on path does the packet loss happen.

I’m sorry you had a bad experience with the IPv6 endpoint performance and not enough communication on the forum. If you don’t have time to troubleshoot this further, that’s understandable.

Hey @mvavrusa! Apologies for the late reply.

I haven’t faced packet loss issues after that. But then I did switch back to Google DNS as it had started to get annoying. I did test a few times today and it seems to be working fine when querying IPv4 and IPv6.

I’m not sure which it was as it keeps changing between both for each query as posted in my outputs above. I checked today as well, and I see it switch between BLR and MAA continuously for IPv6. IPv4 is always BLR for me and it is only IPv6 which keeps changing each time.

No problem, I’m happy to help in any way I can. I have switched back to Google DNS, but I am happy to help. Let me know how I can help you. If everything seems fine in the long run, would definitely come back to Cloudflare as it’s faster and more closer to my location than Google DNS.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.