Cloudflare WP Plugin & APO Configuration Conflict

We have a Pro account for one of our domains DeadEasyApps.com
It has WordPress installed on it. And using APO and has the Cloudflare plugin version 4.4.0.

We ALSO have separate distinct, STAND-ALONE WordPress installations on SEVERAL Subdomains of DeadEasyApps.com (It is NOT a multisite setup), such as My.DeadEasyApps.com.

This is where the APO instructions (Understanding Automatic Platform Optimization (APO) with WordPress – Cloudflare Help Center) get confusing, they say BOTH:

“After you enable APO, you configure it to run on the subdomain that uses WordPress”
and
“After you enable APO, you will configure it to run on the subdirectory that uses WordPress.”

We do NOT have WordPress installed on a subdirectory, but do have it on SEVERAL Subdomains.

We DO want these other distinct WP installation to use APO, but other instructions such as
“If you choose to run APO on a subdomain, the root domain is automatically disabled”
make no sense?

Not sure what to do at this point. Maybe someone could clarify how we would - and if we can - run APO on the main site AND the Subdomains.

ALSO
Does Cloudflare APO work when using page cache plugins like w3 Cache or WP-Optimize? (they use CSS minification)

Sid B.

Hi Sid,

Does Cloudflare APO work when using page cache plugins like w3 Cache or WP-Optimize? (they use CSS minification)

it works with W3 Cache and WP Optimize.

We ALSO have separate distinct, STAND-ALONE WordPress installations on SEVERAL Subdomains of DeadEasyApps.com (It is NOT a multisite setup), such as My.DeadEasyApps.com.

Install Cloudflare plugin on every subdomain that you want to run APO, enable APO in the plugin for each subdomain.

“If you choose to run APO on a subdomain, the root domain is automatically disabled”
make no sense?

This only applies when you enable APO on subdomain first. We optimized the use case: 1 domain - 1 APO instance, but it works fine with multiple subdomains.

2 Likes

Thank you for distinct answers to my questions - particularly the subdomain procedure.
That one was really driving us nuts! Cloudflare has good support generally, but sometimes
the documentation/articles tend to . . . assume you have more information than you do :slight_smile:

I do have a followup question:

On the Main site we did NOT use an API token to activate APO - we used the Global Key instead. Will that cause any issues?

Sid

If you want a brief answer: Yes.

Global Key will either work, or it won’t (at all). API syntax is the same, either way. The syntax includes a specific target.

Token is just more secure, and some plugins only work with Global API, and some Token Only. Better ones will work either way.

That’s why I say it (Global API Key) will either work, or be completely broken. Token, on the other hand, when not working will be either fully or partially broken, depending on permissions.

On the Main site we did NOT use an API token to activate APO - we used the Global Key instead. Will that cause any issues?

For the main site you could use API token or global key, but token is recommended.
For subdomains only Global Key will work.

1 Like

We acknowledge APO docs complexity, we are working on making them better.

To verify it works correctly call the API Cloudflare API v4 Documentation and check hostnames. It should include all the subdomains you need to run APO against.

Thanks - we used Global, because I could not find guidelines for what it
expects for “account” and “zone” when using the wordpress template
for tokens :slight_smile: