Cloudflare won't use ipv4 on an A record with pseudo ipv4 enabled

Hello,

I’m in the process of starting to host a Minecraft server, but I don’t want my origin IP to be shown to my userbase. I thought this could be achieved by using Cloudflare’s proxy service when I made an A record for my (bought and configured) domain name. I also enabled “Overwrite header” with pseudo ipv4. However, when I used https://mcsrvstat.us/ to check if the DNS worked, it told me it failed to read from socket and gave me a debug DNS list. Here’s what it read:

|Hostname| Type |Data|
|[server ip hidden for privacy]| AAAA |2a06:98c1:3120:0:0:0:0:3|
|[server ip hidden for privacy]| AAAA |2a06:98c1:3121:0:0:0:0:3|

It showed me 2 ipv6 addresses, yet I had pseudo ipv4 enabled to change ipv6 proxies to ipv4 because Minecraft doesn’t accept them.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the Cloudflare Community. :logodrop:

Unless you have a sizable budget, you aren’t going to be using Cloudflare to mask your Minecraft server IP. The Cloudflare proxy only handles HTTP and HTTPS traffic by default. You can add a Spectrum plan that includes Minecraft on a Pro subscription or higher. It will include 5GB monthly data allowance with $1/GB overage fees.

That is not what Pseudo IPv4 does. It doesn’t change your published DNS records from IPv6 to IPv4. It changes the connecting IP that is sent by the client to your server from an IPv6 address to a special made up IPv4 address.

1 Like

Is there any way I could hide my origin IP on Cloudflare?

Yes. Like I mentioned in my initial reply, you can use Cloudflare Spectrum on a Pro subscription. You just need to be aware that it only includes a small 5GB transfer allowance and then charges $1/GB for overages. I don’t know how much data transfer a Minecraft server generates, but I have heard that Cloudflare Spectrum for Minecraft can quickly get expensive.

1 Like

Just wanted to note that someone on a different account copied and pasted my post and posted it again - that wasn’t me

1 Like

my mistake, they EDITED their previous post to match mine

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.