Cloudflare Tunnel Operator - Create tunnels to your Kubernetes cluster using CRDs

TL;DR: Introducing cloudflare-tunnel-operator, a kubernetes operator that creates Cloudflare tunnels into your cluster.

The past few weeks, I have been working on a project that I wanted to solve a problem of mine; how to connect to my home kubernetes cluster remotely. And I didn’t want to port forward as that would mean using ports in my application URLs. The best solution out there was to tunnel into my cluster. After using ngrok for a while, I started looking for a different solution and that’s when I stumbled across Cloudflare Tunnels.

Now, I had been using Cloudflare DNS for a while and its kind of a surprise that I only came to know of it now. Anyway, I wasn’t interested in deploying and maintaining a separate instance Cloudflare tunnel as that would mean that I would have to update that deployment’s config whenever I added, changed or deleted a tunneled service(if you want to know my reason for this decision, checkout Gitops). I wanted a declarative way to create tunnels on demand. And since nothing was available, I set out to making my own.

The project cloudflare-tunnel-operator is not completed but its at a POC state and I wanted to announce it so that it can help someone in the Cloudflare/kubernetes community. The project is licensed under Apache 2.0 License so all contributors are welcome.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.