tl;dr we upgraded from the Pro to the Business Plan and are now seeing Australian traffic routed through Australian POPs (colo’s).
- We noticed that Australian traffic to our api was very slow (> 700ms when routed via Cloudflare and ~70ms when bypassing Cloudflare)
- Checking our api url with https://$API_URL/cdn-cgi/trace we noticed that much of our traffic was being routed via colo’s in Hong Kong (HKG) and Osaka (KIX) despite us being in Melbourne (Telstra was the ISP we were testing with)
- Using a commercial VPN in Australia, we saw that our colo was now MEL and api request times went down to 70-80ms.
- Based on the conversation here: Routing wrong country it was really unclear whether upgrading our plan would make any difference to where traffic gets routed or if it was simply and ISP issue.
- After seeing this reply: Routing wrong country we decided to try the upgrade and we can 100% confirm that our traffic is now reliably getting routed via Australian POPs
I guess it’s disappointing that Cloudflare don’t say this anywhere (that I can find) on their website and in the above community thread say things like, “We no longer have the limitations I described previously (as I said at the time, things are/were in flux). At this point all colos (except China POPs) are are available on all plans. Specific connections are based on the peering decisions by individual network providers.” which doesn’t appear to be true.
Based on the detailed discussion in this post