Cloudflare Trace - Birthday Week Announcement 🎂

Hi Everyone,

Today, we are excited to announce Cloudflare Trace! Cloudflare Trace is available to all our customers.

Cloudflare Trace enables you to understand how HTTP requests traverse your zone’s configuration and what Cloudflare Rules are being applied to the request.

This week we will be enabling Cloudflare Trace on all accounts! Keep your eyes out and look forward to you using it.

Blog Traffic transparency: unleashing the power of Cloudflare Trace

Matt
Product Manager - FL

14 Likes

It’s great all of the cloud fare community are waiting for this day. Hurry

Hey @mbullock!

Would it be possible to add Cache itself to the list of things Trace can test? Right now I can see that it has applied a Cache Rule, but I can’t, for example, tell whether a request without one might be cached.

For a usecase, I’m currently working with someone who, while they have a Cloudflare-CDN-Cache-Control header, a Cache Rule setting Eligible for cache and a 2 hour TTL, they are still receiving repeated MISSes on some devices. While there might have been something we overlooked, it would definitely make it easier to debug if we could figure out exactly what the underlying cache was doing with each request.

1 Like

@HelloImAlastair, I’ve taken over Trace from Matt. Returning every change that happened between FL, Pingora and the origin is not a trivial task at all, and it probably won’t help this specific use case on its own because your investigation is related to something that only happens intermittently on some devices. To troubleshoot something like this it’d still be required to narrow down a subset of affected requests that were already logged, then extract relevant headers (or patterns in general) from the log entries and later recreate a similar request to see if the undesired outcome can be reliably reproduced.

However, we could potentially start this journey by outputting a few more helpful bits on top of the existing HTTP Status Code at the end of the tracing event, for example cf-cache-status. Would that help in the short/mid-term? If so, which headers would be nice to see?

Hey there!

Sorry for the slow reply, been a busy week! CF-Cache-Status would be a cool one to see! Though I’m wondering, would there be issues with just returning all headers? Assuming that Trace requires the right permissions, anyone using it shouldn’t be able to see anything that they wouldn’t already be able to see.

For less technical users it would probably be best to return only a selected list of headers that make the most sense in the context of Cloudflare Rules.
Thanks for the feedback, we will keep iterating on Trace. :wink:

1 Like