Cloudflare TOS friendly configuration

Hi,

I am looking for what is the best way to setup the Cloudflare account to be friendly with the Cloudflare TOS :

I created a platform where users can create websites.

The platform will deliver html pages for each user’s website, initially under a subdomain:
usersite1.platformdomain.tld
usersite2.platformdomain.tld

All the media images for these users are served through a subdomain:
media.platformdomain.tld

Question: Can this subdomain be called cdn, cloudflare, or media? Or what should it be called?

If a user say usersite1 has a domain name called usersite1.tld, he points the NAMESERVERS of his domain name to Cloudflare from his registrar.
Then, to make his life easier, his domain is added to the platformdomain.tld’s Cloudflare account with the API and the DNS is configured in Cloudflare to point to the same IP as:
usersite1.platformdomain.tld

Thus, usersite1.tld will show it’s right html files, his site.

Question: Can this be done in this way to be Cloudflare TOS friendly?
Question: Can media.platformdomain.tld still serve his images for his domain usersite1.tld?

Question: To make things easier for the user so that he doesn’t have to do anything, can the CloudFlare Registrar service be used to buy his domain and configure it in the platformdomain.tld’s Cloudflare account so that it is configured automatically?

Thank you

You might want to speak to a sales representative, I’m not sure if CF will be happy if there is a wix-like platform going around making profits out of their CDN.

2 Likes

I don’t think so :laughing:

2 Likes

One big concern I see here regarding the content aspect is from section 2.8 in https://www.cloudflare.com/terms/:

2.8 Limitation on Serving Non-HTML Content
The Services are offered primarily as a platform to cache and serve web pages and websites. Unless explicitly included as part of a Paid Service purchased by you, you agree to use the Services solely for the purpose of (i) serving web pages as viewed through a web browser or other functionally equivalent applications, including rendering Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) or other functional equivalents, and (ii) serving web APIs subject to the restrictions set forth in this Section 2.8. Use of the Services for serving video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content is prohibited, unless purchased separately as part of a Paid Service or expressly allowed under our Supplemental Terms for a specific Service. If we determine you have breached this Section 2.8, we may immediately suspend or restrict your use of the Services, or limit End User access to certain of your resources through the Services.

Our API cannot register domains but our Tenant API can help in the automation of creating accounts. More information on these can be found at these links:

Create DNS Records API Documentation

1 Like

Thank you Chris, that was helpful.

1 Like