Cloudflare thought my whole site was down

I just had an issue where Cloud-flare thought my whole website was down. I was seeing 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable (cloudflare-nginx) pages for every page.

After some testing i noticed that this only happened after visiting a specific page. The page worked for the first load in a fresh browser. This particular page contained a script tag to a web socket server that we decommissioned a while back. This script was returning error 525.

The failure of this single script caused Cloud-flare to believe the whole website was down even though the missing script was on a different port.

My issue was fixed by removing the dead script tag, but It is not clear why this has only started happening today. It may be related to a platform update so i’ve posted this incase someone has a similar issue.

Thanks for letting the community know. :slight_smile:

is caused by a connectivity issue in one or more Cloudflare datacenters. I am not sure how a SSL handshake failure would cause this, but please let the support know about this. Please read this KB article before filing a ticket:

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003011431#503error

But:

There was also an incident regarding connectivity issues in Barcelona, Kuala Lumpur and Toronto yesterday.

Does that match?

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.