Cloudflare Support automatically rejects ASC file attachments

A Cloudflare bot just automatically closed my support ticket because my email includes a security attachment.

Is there a way to get through to Cloudflare support via chat? I am not going to use a separate email address just to open a ticket about an issue that should not be happening in the first place.

Cloudflare Support Team (Bot) (Cloudflare)

Oct 20, 2021, 7:34 AM PDT

Hi there,

Due to our security policy, we can only accept plain text, p7s, json, image, HTTP archive (har) attachments, or videos in an avi/mp4 format.

Please resubmit the following attachments as a plain text, p7s, json, image, avi, mp4, or har file:

• publickey - .asc
  • signature.asc

This is a Community Forum. If you want to state the nature of the technical emergency most problems can be solved here relatively quickly.

This topic is specifically about Cloudflare’s decision to automatically close tickets sent by email if the user uses a mail program that automatically includes an asc file.

An ASC file is an armored ASCII file used by Pretty Good Privacy (PGP), an encryption program utilized for secure communication. It contains a digitally signed message and may store plain-text written information, as well as binary information encoded as text. ASC files also include a key as clear-signed text, which can be verified using PGP authentication methods.

Chat is an option on our business plan, Business Plan Overview | Cloudflare

OK. Nonetheless, Due to our security policy, we can only accept plain text, p7s, json, image, HTTP archive (har) attachments, or videos in an avi/mp4 format.

I have used Cloudflare Support for years and never received this message.

Nonetheless, when a company changes its policy, it should inform users of the policy change in due course so that they can decide whether or not to use the service. It shouldn’t be a surprise.

Moreover, afterwards I received an automated response with instructions. That’s even more confusing. First email said the ticket was closed. Second email suddenly mentioned a security issue and said my ticket was refused. Third email gave a response. Very confusing.

There is also an ethical issue around (indirectly) telling customers to not use encrypted email.