DNS name resolution doesn’t appear to be working for a sub-domain hosted on Cloudflare. The primary domain is also hosted here. We type in the sub-domain URL and it doesn’t get to where it seems like it should be pointing. Things were configured a number of months ago, and were working well, until just recently.
The sub-domain = east.studiosuite.com; it points at 18.104.22.168. But when doing a ping or lookup or other things, the IP returned is 22.214.171.124, or 126.96.36.199.
I have checked some things, and I THINK that they are all configured correctly.
• Main domain is using an A record (not a CNAME).
• Maid domain is not set to Proxy. (Should it?)
• Audit Log for our account shows the new sub-domain being set up on 2021.6.09, and nothing changing with it since then. IP address at setup is what is currently showing in the DNS configuration page.
• The sub-domain IS configured for ‘Proxied’. (So maybe these IP addresses showing in the DNS cache are the proxies… but then why isn’t traffic getting forwarded/through?)
• ICANN Lookup tool reports that Cloudflare is the Name server for our domain
• Have tried OpenDNS caching check reports the wrong IP addresses: 188.8.131.52 & 184.108.40.206 (this makes sense, because that is where it is ending up… but this is not what it is supposed to be - i.e. this is not the IP configured in the Cloudflare DNS setup.)
• OpenDNS cache flushing doesn’t yield any changes
• The Cloudflare diagnostics page reports a few things, but nothing that would seem to be causing this breakage.
• NSLookup for the sub-domain and the domain from my machine (MacOS terminal):
$ nslookup -type=ns east.studiosuite.com Server: 2001:558:feed::1 Address: 2001:558:feed::1#53 Non-authoritative answer: *** Can't find east.studiosuite.com: No answer Authoritative answers can be found from: studiosuite.com origin = adel.ns.cloudflare.com mail addr = dns.cloudflare.com serial = 2037493055 refresh = 10000 retry = 2400 expire = 604800 minimum = 3600 $ nslookup -type=ns studiosuite.com Server: 2001:558:feed::1 Address: 2001:558:feed::1#53 Non-authoritative answer: studiosuite.com nameserver = bob.ns.cloudflare.com. studiosuite.com nameserver = adel.ns.cloudflare.com. Authoritative answers can be found from: adel.ns.cloudflare.com internet address = 220.127.116.11 adel.ns.cloudflare.com internet address = 18.104.22.168 adel.ns.cloudflare.com internet address = 22.214.171.124 adel.ns.cloudflare.com has AAAA address 2803:f800:50::6ca2:c037 adel.ns.cloudflare.com has AAAA address 2a06:98c1:50::ac40:2037 adel.ns.cloudflare.com has AAAA address 2606:4700:50::adf5:3a37 bob.ns.cloudflare.com internet address = 126.96.36.199 bob.ns.cloudflare.com internet address = 188.8.131.52 bob.ns.cloudflare.com internet address = 184.108.40.206 bob.ns.cloudflare.com has AAAA address 2a06:98c1:50::ac40:2168 bob.ns.cloudflare.com has AAAA address 2803:f800:50::6ca2:c168 bob.ns.cloudflare.com has AAAA address 2606:4700:58::adf5:3b68
• If I enter the IP (either of the two incorrect ones shown in the OpenDNS cache results) directly into a browser, I get:
# Error 1003 Ray ID: 68916a349e941482 • 2021-09-03 19:34:19 UTC ## Direct IP access not allowed ## What happened? You've requested an IP address that is part of the Cloudflare network. A valid Host header must be supplied to reach the desired website.
• We have a special app client (non-Browser, not HTTP; TCP on port 5003) that fails to connect to this server.
• We are able to connect to the server (using Https://east.studiosuite.com) with a browser. But that is not the use case I’m trying to solve.
I’m not sure what else to check or try. Any advice on how to test, verify, or configure… something?