Cloudflare Stream Playback Error

We are having an issue with some of our videos failing to load, this doesn’t happen every time, but it’s becoming more frequent. The error has reduced a bit after reducing the clientBandwidth hint from 1.5 to 1.0. Whenever the error occurs, I get the error message “The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.”

One of the streamId that fails: c097934ac153a949d8eeb4cc053c4486

I am using the [videodelivery.net](http://videodelivery.net/) domain to serve the video. I have also tried switching to [cloudlflarestream.com](http://cloudlflarestream.com/), but that didn’t resolve the issue. Please advise on the next steps.

Hi @abdulrasaq — could you share some more details about what player you’re using, and how it’s configured? Couldn’t reproduce this using a basic video.js setup:

If you’re able to share a Stackblitz example where you can reproduce this, that would be helpful.

Hi Irvinebroque,
We built a Javascript library that makes use of Cloudflare streams to play videos using VideoJS, and it’s installed on different client websites and accessible by other users with different types of devices, we use DataDog to monitor when the MEDIA_ERROR occurred, and so far, the error message we got has been “The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.”, we also noticed that the error reduced significantly after reducing client bandWidthHint to 1.0.

Does Cloudflare have some analytics tools or error debugging systems to dig deeper into the root cause of these issues?

Another Cloudflare streamId that had the same issue: 1ac53dc542f1f99d1e01a9a84c59143b

This is our VideoJS setup:

const videoJsOptions = { // lookup the options in the docs for more options
            autoplay: false,
            muted: props.muted,
            controls: false,
            fluid: true,
            userActions: {
                click: false
            },
            sources: [{
                src: hlsURL,
                type: "application/vnd.apple.mpegurl"
            },
            {
                src: dashURL,
                type: "application/dash+xml"
            }],

}

Are you seeing this on certain client/user-agents?

Sometimes website error analytics can give you noise because some visitors (i.e. bots) are intentionally spoofing their user-agents and capabilities in an attempt to get past blocks.

The media error occurs on browsers like Safari, Chrome and mobile browsers. Some users have reported getting that error when testing on their browsers, this appears to be an issue with the video encoding.