Cloudflare SSL causing various issues

I am finding quite a few sites that use Cloudflare DNS are now showing SSL warnings and various errors.

I have been disabling the SSL features in Cloudflare but this is not having any impact.

There are working SSL certs already and once switched to Cloudflare is seems to give preference to the free mis-configured cert from Cloudflare.

Now it seem disabling SSL is not working either. Does anyone else have this trouble? Here is a recent forum post from a user having similar trouble: https://www.thexyz.com/forum/discussion/2430/Cloudflare-dns-causing-ssl-issues-with-sharepoint

All the tenants I have access too are fine. Before disabling everything, it may help to troubleshoot first. What’s the domain?

Can you share the domain you’re concerned about?

The poster in the link you shared sounds like they need a dedicated SSL, but not enough details shared to say for sure.

They do have dedicated SSL and some of their private sub-domains do not have SSL. That is not the issue.

The issue is cloudflard seems to add a free half baked SSL cert that then causes errors and security warnings for visitors. The link in question is behind a password protected area.

I wondered if there was a way to disable Cloudflare SSL? Even when I disable it seems to still cache something.

Hi @perry,

Are you able to share the domain name that you have the issues on and screenshots of the SSL errors you see so we can take a look, if you can’t share the site then please post screenshots of the error(s) and the certificate presented in the browser.

If you want your site to load over HTTPS, but don’t want Cloudflare, the only thing you can do is to set the DNS records to :grey: to bypass Cloudflare. If you are on a business plan, you can upload a custom cert.

I can’t show the URL as I am advising that they do not use Cloudflare DNS as it seems to come with SSL warnings.

Here is an error: SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Even disabling SSL on Cloudflare seems to still have show the error.

There is valid SSL already which seems to be the problem. Sites that have no SSL are okay.

It is not an error that I am familiar with, however just searching it seems to show that it isn’t usually an error with the site but more likely with the browser/OS. I doubt the issue is specific to Cloudflare’s SSL. I could be wrong and maybe someone else will have some input here as well.

The issue was resolved by removing the Cloudflare name servers. I have seen several domains have the same issue and disabling Cloudflare DNS seems to be solution as turning of the free Cloudflare DNS doesn’t seem to work.

SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG tends to mean the server is doing HTTP on that port.

For example, if you tried to open https://community.cloudflare.com:80/ or something.

In addition to the comments from @mnordhoff & @domjh, the error can be caused by our Universal SSL certificate being rejected for a zone.

To troubleshoot, can you share the zone name and/or any of the ‘quite a few’ sites you referenced?

The conversation on the link you shared does not have enough detail to diagnose this ssl certificate issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.