Cloudflare serving Error 1001 for domain deleted from Cloudflare

I added a newly registered domain to Cloudflare and then realised that I didn’t want to do that. I then chose the free plan and deleted the domain from Cloudflare. The NS records were never changed and continue to point at the registrar.

However, Cloudflare appears to still feel responsible for the domain and is giving a DNS resolution error.

Error 1001

Ray ID: 73d135a869bbb529 • 2022-08-19 07:34:56 UTC

DNS resolution error

What happened?

You’ve requested a page on a website (nightlight.ee) that is on the Cloudflare network. Cloudflare is currently unable to resolve your requested domain (nightlight.ee). There are two potential causes of this:

I literally changed my mind within minutes and did not do anything but list the domain on Cloudflare and then remove it again. It’s clearly removed and not on my list. Any idea how to make Cloudflare let go?

Change the name servers…? Because they were clearly changed (haven’t checked) if it points to Cloudflare. Unless the registrar somehow uses Cloudflare itself…

The registrar (zone.ee) shows the nameservers as being their own as per their recommended standard set up – I never got to a point of changing them.

Then those NS return a Cloudflare IP, as there is a single A record with a Cloudflare IP returned. Contact your registrar as they are literally abusing Cloudflare’s services. This is totally unrelated from Cloudflare…

Cloudflare once a domain has been dropped will purge in around a week, but given the NS don’t point to them at this point, it’s totally a non-issue.

1 Like

Agh.

OK, it isn’t their fault but mine. I pointed the A record to the wrong IP address which is a domain which I have on Cloudflare.

Thank you so much for helping me to isolate the problem.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.