Cloudflare services Throttle without explanation or prediction

Hi,

We have been throttled on our Cloudflare services without proper notification and or indication of what caused the throttling to be triggered.

We received an email:

"Dear Cloudflare User,

We have discovered that recent traffic from one or more of your web properties has caused a congestion event on our network. In an effort to preserve service to all Cloudflare customers, we have temporarily decreased the performance of any web property at issue for traffic management purposes. Some of your visitors may experience altered performance until this congestion event has subsided. The affected properties are:

If you have any questions, please contact our customer support team ( https://dash.cloudflare.com/redirect?account=support ) and they will further investigate this matter for you.

Kind regards,
Cloudflare"

This is after our services were throttled and no indication of the cause at all. We are still being throttled without any indication of when the throttle will be lifted.

How do we get this resolved (Get the throttle lifted, have a proper notification that throttle will happen and an indication of what the system picked up as the violation to have us throttled?) as this is causing a lot of issues as we are very dependent on Cloudflare.

1 Like

If the link they provided doesn’t lead you to the ticket system, you can also use the email address associated with your account to reach them at: support AT cloudflare DOT com

1 Like

I did, no reply yet. Given how shockingly little info is available I was hoping someone here could help me further.

Have you looked at the Analytics section of the dashboard?

Yes, that doesn’t show any abnormal movements. We are now seeing a message about a supposed DDOS attack, which upon investigation seems to be legitimate (we’re a news site and there are very time sensitive and important events going on tonight).

1 Like

If you’ve already contacted Support, please post the Ticket # here so it can get pushed long.

1 Like

If you need help with mitigating the attack, please feel free to reply on this thread and I will do my best to help you to mitigate it.

experiencing the same thing too. funny thing is, the domain is on a pro/paid plan. if it’s in a free plan, makes sense for cloudflare to throttle the traffic.

@leo11 thanks for sharing the ticket # - our team internally are looking at this with you on the ticket so we’ll follow up there.

@nanankcornering I can see you contacted the support team in April and they investigated and responded - if you want to open a new ticket you can but I think the situation is unchanged.

2 Likes

You’re looking at my personal account, the issue is happening on my “business” Pro account. will open ticket from that account for sure.

Looking at traffic patterns, yes there is a spike in traffic, but being a paid user, you expect cloudflare to be able to handle the traffic.

From other thread, this seems to be happening on free plan? what are the limits? Maintain network performance - Performance - Cloudflare Community

Out of curiosity, what is that graph? # of visitors, requests, or bandwidth?

request graphs

1 Like

Cloudflare generally doesn’t care about # of requests. It’s usually enormous bandwidth that will get your site throttled.

1 Like

Yes that’s true, and I have experienced that before, especially delivering video/images (non-html content), that’s what @simon is talking about with my personal account.

However the format email is completely different, if there’s an increase request of video/images (non-html content),

Dear Cloudflare User,

We have determined that recent traffic from one or more of your web properties may be in violation of Section 2.8 of our Terms of Service ( Self-Serve Subscription Agreement | Cloudflare ). In response to this apparent violation, we have temporarily stopped serving some of the traffic at issue. Some of your visitors may experience altered performance until this issue is resolved. The affected properties are:

But this one is different (haven’t seen this one before):

Dear Cloudflare User,

We have discovered that recent traffic from one or more of your web properties has caused a congestion event on our network. In an effort to preserve service to all Cloudflare customers, we have temporarily decreased the performance of any web property at issue for traffic management purposes. Some of your visitors may experience altered performance until this congestion event has subsided. The affected properties are:

1 Like

My suspicion is that they’ve re-worded the statement, as I believe that “Throttling” is the same ‘no images/no video’ placeholder as the 2.8 warning. But it’d be nice to know for sure.

1 Like

maybe, let’s see. previously they also put links to ToS and this link: Delivering Videos with Cloudflare – Cloudflare Help Center, but no info/saying regarding ToS/non-html content in this email.

Also when there’s a non-html content request, cloudflare responds with the gray picture/video saying that this domain has violates it’s ToS.

But in this case, nothing like that, cloudflare just respond with blank response.

It’s also stressful especially there’s no sentence/saying when the throttle will be lifted, it’s been 1-2 hours since the email, but still throttled.

I believe that a DDoS towards non-HTML content could generate a lot of requests with very little inbound data but lots of outbound data (due to the sender downloading a video/big image…). Might have been the case here.
Sometimes DDoS attacks do not aim to make services unavailable but exhaust companies’ budgets.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.