Cloudflare returns Status 522 for some page images, doesn't access the origin server

Hi,

I’m new to Cloudflare, just set it up for a few low-traffic sites, the free (non-enterprise) edition. I have my sites proxied by Cloudflare, one of them is: https://biodisplay.tyrell.hu/

I have an interesting problem: when loading a page, the page itself loads but some of the images part of the page are not loaded in the browser. Looking at the network details in Chrome, it truns out that Chrome gets a Status 522 error from Cloudflare for these images. When looking at my web server’s log, there is no request for these images. When loading the image in itself (right click in Chrome, Open Image in New Tab), the image loads fine.

The server is set up to be proxied by Cloudflare, with Full (strict) SSL/TLS, with the origin SSL certs issued by Cloudflare.

What can be wrong here?

Ákos

PS: see screenshot of Chrome shoing the 522 status returns. For example, thumbs_img_7777.jpg is returned properly, while say thumbs_img_7770.jpg is not. Looking at the origin web server log:

# grep biodisplay.tyrell.hu /var/log/apache2/other_vhosts_access.log  | grep thumbs_img_7
biodisplay.tyrell.hu:443 172.71.135.49 - - [08/Jan/2024:14:34:01 +0000] "GET /wp-content/gallery/2008-03-19-arrghh/thumbs/thumbs_img_7777.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 7518 "https://biodisplay.tyrell.hu/images/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/120.0.0.0 Safari/537.36"

it shows that the thumbs_img_7770.jpg and other images with the 522 status code were not requested from the origin server by Cloudflare

Does this happen consistently on all browsers?

all that I checked with

the browser sends out the HTTP request for the images to Cloudlfare, Cloudflare doesn’t send a request to the origin server but returns a 522 error.

I wonder if there is a way to see what’s happening at the Cloudflare proxy?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.