Cloudflare problems in the UK this morning?

Is Cloudflare having problems in the UK today? My Cloudlfare sites have been repeatedly down or very slow loading all morning. Sites on the same servers based in the UK, but not using Cloudflare are all running fine.

Surely I am not the only one seeing problems. The last downtime lasted 15 minutes. All sites not using Cloudlfare on the same servers are running perfectly.

I’m in the process of sending a support request to Cloudflare and it is running a diagnostic check. The initial comment is blaming this on my host:

The origin web server for example.com is responding slowly to initial requests for uncached HTML content. To remove this performance bottleneck, look at your server’s ability to return HTML faster and/or implement HTML caching in Cloudflare.

The other sites on the same server are running well when not using Cloudflare, so what could this be? The problems have been ongoing now for over 3 hours.

Hi @Sgt_Bilko,

No reported issues and I am not seeing anything.

Is this you on Twitter?

What error do you see when the site is ‘down’? I would suggest it is not an issue with Cloudflare.

Why other sites are working OK, I don’t know.

Yes that was me. I just switched the nameservers back to the origin server as a test on one of the domains and paused Cloudflare. It immediately kicked back into life and I received a bunch of monitoring emails telling me the site was back online.

Are you able to check the logs on the server to see if there were any issues? Could the Cloudflare requests be blocked / rate limited?

Also, looks like @adspedia is helping on Twitter :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also,

I’ve been in touch with the web host and they are having no problems at all. I’ll check the logs now to see if anything unusual appears. I ran traceroutes both before and after the switch. In both cases the response was about 14ms.

:+1:

Does sound odd, can you share whatever error message you get? Is is a Cloudflare 522 connection timed out?

It was just endlessly waiting until making a connection. With further tests I’ve had ongoing issues also connecting from another ISP and when I tried on my phone with the mobile network it said the server’s IP address could not be found. Eventually it got through.

I am thinking of removing these domains from Cloudflare. That’s not difficult it seems with the .co.uk domains, but trickier with the others, because Cloudflare is the registrar or can I keep Cloudflare as the registrar, but remove the domains from the service?

If I have to change registrar, before these domains can be removed from Cloudflare I could be in trouble for days.

I believe I have found the source of the problem and it was Railgun. My old ISP was a Cloudflare partner, which included Railgun integration, but when I moved to my new ISP Railgun just stayed active for some reason and that is still the case after something like 8 months.

I cannot remove that, but the moment I switched it to OFF on my websites they all loaded immediately.

2 Likes

Glad you have found the cause. If you can update them on your support ticket as well, that would be great.

Yes I am just doing that now. From other reading, I gather this is a longstanding issue and it’s very strange that it suddenly became a problem this morning after 8 months. There ought to be a way of making a clean break, so this cannot happen.

I am not exactly sure on how this happened.

Thanks for the feedback, I will pass it on.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.