Cloudflare Pages with Custom Domain on Cloudflare and Proxied DNS

Hello!

When setting up a custom domain with Cloudflare Pages, since the domain is with Cloudflare, the DNS records are set up automatically, though proxied (i.e. the cloud is orange). Is this an issue, such as with GitHub Pages, or does Cloudflare accept its own proxied connections? Sorry if my terminology is incorrect, I’m still fairly new to this.

Thank you kindly for the help!

Yes, you can leave it proxied. If you shut off the proxy, the site will still work, but you won’t be able to use other Cloudflare features, same as if you were running an origin server unproxied.

1 Like

Got it; thanks for the clarification! As an aside, and as many people have already asked, how long does verification for the custom domain typically take? My check is a few hours away from a full day at this point.

Every time I see it get “stuck” it actually already works and the message doesn’t seem to mean anything. So just try it and see if it works.

Nope; tried again. Also tried before asking. I’ll try again after the full 24 hours are up, but any advice if it doesn’t work after that? I’ve unpublished the page on GitHub Pages as well, so that shouldn’t be affecting it, I think.

You let the DNS entry get added for you, right? Were there already any records for it?

I would try removing it and making sure your DNS has no existing A, AAAA, or CNAME records for it before re-adding it.

What’s the custom domain?

A record for it was there already; it was replaced automatically. I’ll try that in a bit, then!

resume.syvl.org

I’m seeing an NXDOMAIN, there’s no DNS records for this domain:

$ dig resume.syvl.org

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> resume.syvl.org
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 41168

These are the Custom Domain settings and the DNS records for resume.syvl.org.

It looks like your domain may be expired, it isn’t an active domain any longer

$ whois syvl.org
% IANA WHOIS server
% for more information on IANA, visit http://www.iana.org
% This query returned 1 object

# whois.publicinterestregistry.org

Domain not found.
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2023-03-24T19:58:33Z <<<
1 Like

Actually, syvl.org leads to sylvorg.github.io, which is also a GitHub Pages site where the certificate expired, hence why I’m trying to move everything to Cloudflare Pages. So should I move that first, or…? Because if they’re all redirects, why would it matter?

This domain is currently for sale which means you do not own it. :thinking:

Is automatic renewal not available for Cloudflare domains? I thought I had set it up…

There is auto renew you do need to make sure it is enabled though and if you have payment issues it will still cancel the domain

Ah; I knew setting my Cloudflare email to [email protected] was a bad idea… I never even got a notification that my card declined. Ah, well. I’ll see what happens after setting up automatic renewal again.

What I don’t understand is how I was still able to access the details of the DNS records for the site… Wouldn’t Cloudflare lock you out of those, even if they didn’t work?

Oh, wait… Those are DNS records in general, aren’t they…

And fixed. I never was very good at recursion. :joy_cat: Regarding the email, of course. Thanks to everyone for the help! I’ll go ahead and mark this as solved then, shall I?