Cloudflare pages build so slow

The build times for pages are very slow. Six minutes on average compared to one minute on Netlify. Is there a way to cache or speed up the build times?

Builds are generally pretty quick ~1.5m with no slow build command. You will sometimes experience a “slow build” though, these happen if the “quick build” has not finished (for x, y or z reason). Generally, you should see much more quick builds than slow builds though.

The build times will continue to improve though with the rollout of an improved build system, specific framework builds (not including everything possible in 1 image), caching, etc.
There is no ETA on this though, there are some big things currently in the works which need to be finished before these.

You can keep up to date on the Discord server: Cloudflare Workers

3 Likes

I have over 30 builds in 3 days and all of them have been slow. My site is Jekyll based with less than 250 posts. and 10MB in size. Slow time is in the Initializing build environment and the Building application. All builds are over six minutes.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Referring to this topic which was marked resolved without a follow-up answer. I am still getting very slow builds. Six minutes on average! None of my builds since I joined pages two weeks ago have taken less than 4 minutes and 35 seconds. Is the build process this slow or will it change with the updates the commenter talked about?

Usually Pages is pretty quick (~40s setup) however lately there has been an increased load which has created slowdown. This is an issue the team is addressing and there’s a long-term solution so this never happens again.
Trust me, the team do know your annoyance and want it quicker just as much as you.

1 Like

I have the same issue. I deployed a SPA with some CSS, Images and Javascript Libraries and the Build Time at Netlify is ~3 seconds while on Cloudflare Pages it is around ~2.30 minutes. I know Cloudflare Pages do some optimization like Javascript and CSS purge, but still takes way to long.

Let’s hope these planned changes come soon enough.

I’m not sure how this issue can be said to be solved?

We’ve been testing Cloudflare pages to see if it is mature enough to use as a replacement for Netlify and have immediately encountered these slow build times.

The builds are taking substantially longer to initialize on Cloudflare than on Netlify, while the actual time that our script executes is fractionally faster on Cloudlfare.

If the initialization times were the same then Cloudflare would be faster, but they’re so long they’re increasing the overall build time by 2+ minutes.

1 Like

4 minutes and 54 seconds has been the fastest build time in my case. The site is also a bit faster on pages than Netlify, but I am thinking of going back until this is resolved.

There’s nothing more to be done here. It’s a known issue that will be fixed at some point. Until then, dragging this out in the Community is not going to move this conversation forward. When this issue is resolved, the thread can be re-opened to announce the fix.

6 Likes