Cloudflare not caching locally in South Africa

For about 2 weeks our website and a lot of other websites are being sent to cloudflare servers all over Africa, some of which have very bad routes from South Africa

I have heard everyone except Enterprise customers are not being cached here in South Africa.

What is going on here and why has this not been communicated with the users, cloudflare status page shows everything working fine… I would expect as a paying customer that we should get notified if functionality is not working or being removed.

on the mybroadband.co.za forums you can read of this issue all over so its not my isp or something like that. The isp’s have said that the number of prefixes that cloudflare are announcing locally has dropped

Have you opened a ticket with Cloudflare Support? This may a temporary issue while they do some maintenance and/or perform upgrades. It happens and not all plans get access to the whole set of POPs, it varies depending on conditions. The lower the plan the earlier you are dropped in case of problems, obviously.

Try seeing what this returns: https://cloudflare-test.judge.sh

1 Like

Thanks for the handy link, I will try open a ticket but could not find the option to open a ticket, only ask the community, I see now as its because I was not logged in on the support site

the result of https://cloudflare-test.judge.sh :

Yeah, most go to Djibouti, which prompts the problem given the distance…

Your best bet is the support, maybe post here the number so that @cloonan can take a look and ping the right people.

PS; @Judge could possibly be that Mozilla.org is ENT?

thanks for your help @matteo its appreciated

Opened a ticket - 1762073

1 Like

Hi Jared, would you be so kind and post the outcome here once you have received a reply?

Support has replied:

We experienced a few incidents due to external factors which caused our datacenters in this region to return many 502 errors - We are working on this to deliver a solution. I apologise for the communication side of things, there isn’t really an effective channel to communicate this and we will work to improve such events in the future.
Please let us know if you have any further questions.

2 Likes

Is there any update on this? I see Cloudflare is still being re-routed via EU. Bit pointless if this stays the way it is.

Tracing route to mybroadband.co.za [104.20.10.169]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 3 ms 3 ms 4 ms 192.168.10.5
4 3 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.11.6
5 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms uwx-cust.coolideas.co.za [154.0.4.161]
6 152 ms 151 ms 151 ms uwu-cust.coolideas.co.za [154.0.4.158]
7 150 ms 151 ms 151 ms u102-cust.coolideas.co.za [154.0.5.18]
8 154 ms 152 ms 152 ms linx-lon1.as13335.net [195.66.225.179]
9 151 ms 151 ms 152 ms 104.20.10.169
Trace complete.

Looks like it may have changed back to using SA POPs for non-Enterprise customers. As of today 1pm I noticed traffic routing via SA POPs.