Cloudflare IPFS gateway responses don't include Content-Length and Accept-Ranges headers

First of all, thanks for making this great service available.

Every IPFS UnixFS object has its total size and component blocks specified in a DAG document (or for single-block object smaller than 256KB, within a protocol buffer representation), guaranteeing both that the size is known ahead of time and that range requests should technically always be possible. The Cloudflare gateway currently seems to respond with Transfer-Encoding: chunked for every file resource I’ve attempted to fetch, this includes both long (multi-block) and short (single block) files and when the response cache status is marked as a HIT, for example:

wget -S https://cloudflare-ipfs.com/ipfs/QmUbw27P1w1Q8Rejr9YB4aKCkHnDq1CxyVhsXvywoudoSq

HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 16:41:39 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Connection: keep-alive
Access-Control-Allow-Headers: Content-Range, X-Chunked-Output, X-Stream-Output
Access-Control-Allow-Methods: GET
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
Access-Control-Expose-Headers: Content-Range, X-Chunked-Output, X-Stream-Output
Cache-Control: public, max-age=29030400, immutable
Etag: W/"QmUbw27P1w1Q8Rejr9YB4aKCkHnDq1CxyVhsXvywoudoSq"
Last-Modified: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 16:30:04 GMT
Suborigin: ipfs000bciqf2ecguqktel77m6ogarh4bwkimtdkzr57my7cw7ke5qhph6v2a4q
Vary: X-Ipfs-Secure-Gateway, Accept-Encoding
X-Ipfs-Path: /ipfs/QmUbw27P1w1Q8Rejr9YB4aKCkHnDq1CxyVhsXvywoudoSq/
CF-Cache-Status: HIT
Expect-CT: max-age=604800, report-uri="https://report-uri.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/beacon/expect-ct"
Server: cloudflare

I’ve checked multiple other gateways (ipfs.io, www.eternum.io) and all respond with both Content-Length and Accept-Ranges: bytes. The same for the standard local gateway created by go-ipfs.

This seems unexpected. I would assume this a known issue / something that’s being worked on?

(Edits: some minor corrections after investigating deeper into the spec)

No response from Cloudflare for almost 14 days now, so I guess this issue would be automatically closed at some point. I hope this will be eventually resolved, anyway. Thanks again for making this free service available.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.