Cloudflare insists my domain isn't registered when it is

I’m attempting to add DNS service here for a domain I purchased about a week ago, “unstaffed.icu”. However, whenever I attempt to use the Add Site function in my membership area, I receive an error saying, “unstaffed.icu is not a registered domain”. However, the domain is definitely registered. I can perform whois lookups against it just fine, and I get back the data I expect to see in it.

I also haven’t had this issue with any of my .com, .net, or .org domains, so could there be an issue with how Cloudflare checks domains under the .icu TLD, or is there something else that might be at play here?

The message is not the most helpful.

Before you can add a domain to Cloudflare it must be registered, and have active authoritative nameservers. Your domain says the authoritative nameservers as nsX.he.net, but those servers do not seem to be authoritative for your domain:

% dig ns unstaffed.icu @ns1.he.net

; <<>> DiG 9.18.2 <<>> ns unstaffed.icu @ns1.he.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 60600
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

Well, I’m looking for Cloudflare to be the authoritative nameserver for this domain. I used to use Hurricane Electric, but they still don’t support things like DNSSEC, so I moved my DNS hosting over to Cloudflare a while ago. I never updated my registrar’s settings for default nameservers, though, since it was never an issue to go back in later and update them to whatever Cloudflare told me to use for the domain.

Is that requirement new? I haven’t had this issue with any other domains I’ve registered since transitioning my DNS hosting to Cloudflare, and I definitely didn’t have HE set up for them at the time I added them to my Cloudflare account.

Regardless, I guess I can try adding them to HE so that it responds as the authoritative nameserver and see if it works.

It’s not new as far as I’m aware of - a domain needs valid nameservers that respond for it to be detected as a domain.

https://developers.cloudflare.com/fundamentals/get-started/setup/troubleshooting/unregistered-domains/#existing-domain

Since the nameservers for your domain (ns1.he.net) refused to respond for your domain, no SOA or NS records were returned so it was rejected as unregistered.

Well, that did it. Now I’m just confused as to why the other domains I’ve added in the last few months never ran into this issue. But, at least now I know for the future.

I always just figured they went off of whois info to determine whether a domain was registered.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.