Cloudflare indicates my website is slow

Hi,

When I submit a support request to Cloudflare, I will always get the following message from " Cloudflare Support Team (Bot) (Cloudflare)", which said:

We have run an automated test to your website ( xxx.com ) and can see that there is a slow response here.

But the message does not provide any detailed metrics, such as TTFB value.

My server is hosted on InMotion Dedicated Server in Los Angeles, California.

So my question is:

1. How can I get the detailed metrics on my website, such as the TTFB value, from Cloudflare regarding its slow response report?

2. What is the standard of slow response in Cloudflare(for example, > 500ms) so that I can improve or change my server hosting to satisfy it?

Thank you.

May I ask what is your domain name?

Which online tools have you used to measure page load time for your Website?

Are the DNS records proxied :orange:?

May I ask are you using Cloudflare Free plan for your domain/Website?

Are the options like Minify (HTML, CSS, JavaScript), Brotli, HTTP/2, Rocket Loader and similar enabled in the Cloudflare dashboard?

Do you have a lot of images on your Website?
Is it some web application or rather a blog like WordPress, etc.?

Does it mean it’s a shared web hosting or a VPS, or rather a dedicated server?

@fritex

Thank you for quick reply and so many questions. Let me answer them one by one:

May I ask what is your domain name?
A: It is datanumen.com

Which online tools have you used to measure page load time for your Website?
A: In general, we will use GTMetrix, Google PSI to measure the load speed. However, based on the message sent from Cloudflare bot, they think the response from the origin is slow.

Are the DNS records proxied :orange:?
A: Yes.

May I ask are you using Cloudflare Free plan for your domain/Website?
A: We are using Pro Plan.

Are the options like Minify (HTML, CSS, JavaScript), Brotli, HTTP/2, Rocket Loader and similar enabled in the Cloudflare dashboard?
A: We enable Minify(HTML & JavaScript), Brotli, HTTP/2, etc.

Do you have a lot of images on your Website?
A: Not many. We are not an image archive website.

Is it some web application or rather a blog like WordPress, etc.?
A: Yes, we are using WordPress for our site.

Does it mean it’s a shared web hosting or a VPS, or rather a dedicated server?
A: It is a dedicated server. We are using the “Elite” plan in Dedicated Server Hosting | InMotion Hosting

Again, the message from Cloudflare Bot seems to mean that the response from the origin(not the one cached by Cloudflare) are slow.

Thank you very much

Great, Pro plan is awesome! :slight_smile:

First thing I noticed, fast website even with “BYPASS”:

cf-cache-status: BYPASS

I also see youa re using Cloudflare APO for WordPress.

cf-apo-via: origin,no-cache
cache-control: max-age=0

But later, the chat widget (Tidio?) took approx. 15-16 seconds to load and display (WebSocket + fonts + JS files) - in case where I didn’t scroll down.

May I ask did you checked if anything appear/show at Firewall Events log as if Cloudflare could be blocked, maybe?

Furthermore, kindly re-check if Cloudflare is allowed to connect to your origin host to as follows in the below article:

Nevertheless, Cloudflare IP addresses list can be found here:

With this one it should be really smooth.

May I ask have you tried optimizing the PHP settings/values for WordPress?

1 Like

Hi, @fritex

Thank you for your reply.

But later, the chat widget (Tidio?) took approx. 15-16 seconds to load and display (WebSocket + fonts + JS files) - in case where I didn’t scroll down.

A: We are using WP Rocket Plugin which will delay executing Tidio chat until user interactions. Also Tidio itself will delay 5 seconds when loading. So you will notice Tidio chat not appear immediately.

May I ask did you checked if anything appear/show at Firewall Events log as if Cloudflare could be blocked, maybe?

A: I check the log, just wonder whether I need to check the “Top events by source” section or check each item in “Activity Log” one by one:

or

2021-12-02_9-17-32

Furthermore, kindly re-check if Cloudflare is allowed to connect to your origin host to as follows in the below article:

Nevertheless, Cloudflare IP addresses list can be found here:

A:Yes, we have already add these IP address to the whitelist.

May I ask have you tried optimizing the PHP settings/values for WordPress?

A: What are possible optimization of PHP settings for WordPress? Currently we are using WP Rocket Plugin to speed up the WordPress.

Thank you very much.

FastOrSlow gives you high marks. APO is really helping out for visitors before they start their shopping. I think the test results you received are inaccurate.

1 Like

Okay, that’s a new information.
I remember there were topics about WP Rocket + Cloudflare, therefore I suggest you to look up at the below articles in that terms:

With the APO right?
Kindly, consider looking into below article if you are going to combine WP Rocket and APO:

If interested, a great bunch of related articles here:

See at the below article for any helpful information WP Rocket + APO + Cloudflare:

I would suggest below:

memory_limit = 256M
max_execution_time = 300
max_input_time = 1000
max_input_vars = 5000 or 7000
post_max_size = 16M
upload_max_filesize = 16M

Also, if you can install the PHP OPcache module as it could help too :wink:

https://graspingtech.com/speed-up-wordpress-by-enabling-zend-opcache/

Do not forget to save and restart your php service to apply the changes.

Hi, @fritex

Thank you very much for all these info. I just wonder is there a tool in Cloudflare that can let me check if the “slow response” still exist?

Currently the only way is to send a support request to Cloudflare and get the bot reply, then check whether the bot still said “slow response”. But that looks a bit silly.

There is a tools in speed tab of cloudflare dashboard.

Your website loads in 292 ms for me in GT Matrix

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.