Cloudflare headers preventing SSL certificate from connecting after domain transfer

Good day, on the 18th of December I transferred my domain name from Bluehost to Shopify and after almost 84 hours my SSL Certificate is still not installed, thus I keep on getting a [403] Forbidden Page Error whenever I type in my website’s Url.This led me to reach out to Shopify and they confirmed that my domain is correctly pointing to Shopify and both the A Record and Cname Record is set up properly in Bluehost’s DNS settings. However, the assistant told me to reach out to Cloudflare, because the issue with the domain is that it has old Cloudlfare headers that are preventing the SSL certificate from successfully connecting. I was told that it can only be fixed from Cloudflare’s end.

That is not correct. Please let Shopify Support know that is not an accurate response and they should stop spreading misinformation. If they insist they’re correct about the headers, demand that they tell you which headers are causing this problem.

Do you know what may cause the issue I’m dealing with as I have reached out to them 3 times by now and each time I get a different response. I have even reached out to Bluehost and they said that everything looks fine on their end and the problem lays with Shopify. I genuinely don’t know what to do.

The issue is that you used a previous host that uses Cloudflare. Just like Shopify does. That they don’t know how their own system works should raise some red flags for you.

You’d have to ask that previous host to clear any Cloudflare settings for your domain. No, it does not involve “headers.” It might even be BlueHost if you used their Cloudflare integration.

Thank you so much for your insightful response! It is greatly appreciated. I will reach out to Bluehost and tell them to please clear any Cloudflare settings from my domain. Hopefully this will fix the problem as my patience is running thin at the moment with Shopify Support giving me nothing but misleading info.

If BlueHost turns out to be a dead end, try this:

Please email [email protected] with the subject Cannot remove custom host name and details of the issue. Once you’ve done that you’ll receive an automatic response with a ticket number. Please post that here so we can escalate it. Once you have reached out to Support they will ask you to verify domain ownership of the domain by adding a txt record to the domain in order to verify domain ownership.

1 Like

I just reached out to Bluehost and the assistant stated that the cloudflare is causing the issue so she disabled it. I was informed that this should solve the problem within a few hours depending on location. If this still doesn’t work, I’ll surely follow your guidelines to take things further.

Thank you so much for your time!

2 Likes

Good day :smiley:

So after reaching out to my previous host (Bluehost), stating the exact information that @sdayman has given me, they finally were able to resolve my issue, as it was in fact Cloudflare settings that needed to be cleared on their (Bluehost’s) backend in order for my SSL Certificate to finally be installed/connected to Shopify.

I am so thankful for a forum like this where you get valuable information that actually fixes things, as opposed to Shopify’s Support team that makes you believe they are handling your problem, but instead just want to get rid of you as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next possible question. Always reassuring you that things got fixed and you just need to be patient and wait it out. I have reached out to 3 different Shopify Support assistants, got 3 different answers to one question and non of their advice was helpful in the end - even though I, with my limited amount of knowledge was so grateful for receiving anything that might help me, that I wasn’t even aware that I’m be chased around in circles.

Like many others have stated, it seems like Shopify’s Support team lack the basic knowledge to successfully help their clients, which is ironic, considering their hefty service plans which promises the best - I definitely expected more from them. I do hope that this topic helps others in the same boat as I was, as I’m certain that this is a regular issue that Shopify’s support is too reluctant to look into, but instead just passes on the blame to others.

I just once again want to thank you @sdayman for helping me, because if it was up to Shopify’s Support to get things done, I would’ve gone into 2022 with 2021’s issues :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: and we don’t want that!

3 Likes

Awww, thank you for the kind words. I’m glad Bluehost was able to clear this up for you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.