Cloudflare Domains Email Forwarding

I have started using Cloudflare Domains for some of my domains and it works great, however, I was not able to find information about email forwarding. I did find a few threads, but usually they seem to deal with either Cloudflare providing free webmail UI with each domain or how to set up DNS so that email goes to the user’s mail server.

I am curious about neither (or both, depending on how you look at it): Does (or will) Cloudflare support email redirect. That is, any email to *@mydomain.example redirected to [email protected]. No email web UI, not gimmicks, just a single field where you type your real email and anything that goes to the catch-all email on your domain gets forwarded there. And you reply to those emails from the email you used for the redirect value.

My current registrar does this and I’m reluctant to transfer the domains I have set this up on to Cloudflare because I don’t want to set up an email server and figuring out how to set up DNS so that it goes to my current ESP (Fastmail) seems like an error-prone PITA.

Does Cloudflare registrar offer this and if not, are there any plans for it?

Cloudflare does not handle email at all. You’d have to point an MX record to a host that can forward email.

2 Likes

Does this cloud flare app work? I have moved to cloud flare and broken my email forwarding setup. I installed an email forwarding app which is a free plugin listed in the cloudflare apps store.
I’m still not receiving email after installation and I’m looking for answers. Same as Thomas I’d prefer to use gmail then host a mailbox
[https ://www.cloudflare.com/apps/email-forwarding](https ://www.cloudflare.com/apps/email-forwarding)

I have no idea how that app would work. It would need access to your account to add an MX record to your DNS, and get the email address associated with your account. This is no different than some free email forwarding service such as https://improvmx.com/ (I’ve never used them, so I have no idea if they’re any good).

Thanks for your reply sdayman, We switched to Cloudflare to improve the websites speed. The move broke the email forwarding that was free at our domain register as long as our name servers pointed to them. I’m not sure how secure this app is. This is a temporary solution for us at this time we have one mailbox and 3 staff using it.

When I first installed the Cloudflare email forwarding app it wasn’t working. After deleting the existing MX records. The app has started working and does its job as a catch-all email for the entire domain. I see this app as a good idea if you have brought an expired domain or inherited a project and don’t know the emails associated with the domain but would like to receive mail addressed to the website’s domain.

1 Like

[SOLUTION 2 Free Catch-All Email Forwarding - Easy 2 Step Setup ]

1. Delete existing MX records
  2. Install Cloudflare Email Forwarding App (link below)
    [https ://www.cloudflare.com/apps/email-forwarding](https ://www.cloudflare.com/apps/email-forwarding)
2 Likes

Okay so this issue was fixed but the emails wordpress notifications aren’t working since shifting to cloudflare they were setup with sendinblue.com

Worth mentioning that unless you are ok with only having the generic '[email protected][yourdomain.whatever] then you’ll need to pay their premium subscription to get any custom or catch all addresses.

Hi,

You can use a service like https://hanami.run

All it takes is to edit your MX records and TXT record to points to hanami.run server like this:

The document has example with cloudflare as well: Hanami - Email Forwarding Service for your domain name

FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m the founder.

3 Likes

Thank you so much. Great service!

It’s sad that Cloudflare still doesn’t have this very basic registrar functionality in 2021.

The only other registrar I know of that doesn’t offer this (for no additional cost) is GoDaddy… hardly good company to be in.

Anyway there are many third-party services but very few free options.

Here are some notes from my research:

improvmx.com - this is probably the best free option. If you have multiple domains, you’ll have to either create a separate account for each domain (annoying) or upgrade to a paid plan. 10 aliases per domain on the free account, and wildcard alises are supported.

forwardemail.net - supposedly good, except they require you to publicly expose your e-mail address in DNS (or upgrade to a paid plan). So this is a hard pass unless you don’t care about that.

MailGun - you’ll see this mentioned a lot if you research this subject, but they no longer have a free plan that allows receiving mail (this is primarily an outbound e-mail service) as of last year. So disregard all mentions of them from before last year as they’re no longer relevant.

Most importantly, DO NOT attempt to use Amazon SES for this. I tried to get it working and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. An entire day of wasted effort with nothing to show for it.

Anything I didn’t list here probably either doesn’t have a free plan or the free plan doesn’t allow receiving e-mail. I didn’t keep a list of these because there are dozens of them. If I missed any legitimate offerings, please let me know.

1 Like

Your current register must also provide your hosting services? As said before, Cloudflare does not handle email or email hosting.

With that said, even after transferring your domain name to Cloudflare, you will still need another entity/source to provide the web hosting of your website. Unless the domain is for email only?

@user4358

It’s sad that Cloudflare still doesn’t have this very basic registrar functionality in 2021.

The only other registrar I know of that doesn’t offer this (for no additional cost) is GoDaddy… hardly good company to be in.

Most registrars who solely register domain names and offer DNS management do not offer this as a free service, specially included within an $8.00 annual registration fee. The registrar would also have to offer hosting services to allow email forwarding. Cloudflare is getting close to offering some hosting services, but my guess is email (besides MX records) is a ways off, if ever.

1 Like

Closer to if ever if I have understood their plans. A partnership with somebody like ProtonMail would be great, with one-click setup and integrated billing. But flying pigs are more likely.

The domains I am interested in transferring are using GitHub Pages and Cloudflare Workers for hosting. I don’t use web hosting from this particular registrar. Email forwarding works just fine and is free.

OK, got ya. :wink:

The point I was pushing forward is your current registrar offers email hosting where Cloudflare does not. Email direction and email forwarding is not handled through editing a DNS zone. Your registrar’s UI may make it seem like it is, but anything email-related besides MX records is handled by a separate email server, which Cloudflare simply does not handle or offer. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Another option that seems to work at least with some registrars: set up your e-mail forwarding with your old registrar before you transfer the domain to Cloudflare. Then when you do transfer to Cloudflare, keep the existing MX record. There’s a good chance the old registrar won’t bother deleting the forwarding, so it may continue to work as long as you keep the MX record in place. You (probably) won’t be able to update the forwarding config.

If the old registrar ever does stop forwarding e-mail for the domain (which could be months/years later), then sign up for a free account with ImprovMX or a similar service… or if it’s years in the future maybe Cloudflare will have their own solution by then?