Cloudflare Domain Purchase

Hello,

So I purchased a domain with CloudFlare thinking it works like any other registrar, and maybe it does.
However, I want to set up the hosting I have set up with a different website so that the domain I purchased with CF resolves appropriately.
I’m told by the host provider to use nameservers:
ns1.epizy.com
ns2.epizy.com
which resolve to
respectively.

These are the configurations I’ve made within CloudFlare (image 1)

However, they appear not to resolve/redirect appropriately because the hosting service tells me that my domain cannot be added yet because ’ (you) have not changed the nameservers as required’.
Note, when I try to add the domain to my hosting service, it seems to be trying to connect and CloudFlare does log the queries (image 2)

Are the DNS settings I’ve made ok or complete?

Hi @user11369,

6.1 in the Domain Registration Agreement states that you cannot change the nameservers:

6.1 Nameservers . Registrant agrees to use Cloudflare’s nameservers. REGISTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT IT MAY NOT CHANGE THE NAMESERVERS ON THE REGISTRAR SERVICES, AND THAT IT MUST TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY REGISTRAR IF IT WISHES TO CHANGE NAMESERVERS.

Domain Registration Agreement | Cloudflare

You’ll need to get the required DNS records from them and add them, you can’t just add the IPs of their nameservers.

1 Like

This allows vanity nameservers, so you can have nameservers on your own domain but still doesn’t let you point away from Cloudflare. It’s also a bit awkward to set up with Registrar and requires a ticket usually.

1 Like

Hello @domjh
I’m not sure I follow.
What do you mean DNS records?
What are my options?

• Transfer the domain, for example?
    So Cloudflare doesn’t work like other normal registrars, would that be correct?

yes, realised that wasn’t what was wanted just as I pressed enter

2 Likes

I really don’t think you have a choice here. If they are forcing you to use those name servers, you’ll have to transfer your domain registration elsewhere.

Welp, it seems I shouldn’t have used CloudFlare.

I’m not a web IT expert, but I’ve purchased domains and hosting services on and off since 2003, and as far as I can recall, hosting providers didn’t force you to use their nameservers, it was a given you would use their nameservers, because they resolve to their actual machines, and make the change in the domain registrar. You make it sound like hosting providers can use other nameservers that then circle back to them?

I’d always understood the process as such:
Purchase domain (registrar)
Purchase hosting (host)
Host provides you with nameservers.
Update nameservers in registrar
Voila, you’re done.

It seems it doesn’t work like that with CloudFlare then.

Or not use that hosting service. The Venn diagram here has no overlap. No, I’m not trying to be sarcastic. Both setups have the same “You have to do it our way” requirement, and that’s not always compatible. Cloudflare’s attitude started with “You’re already here using our stuff, you’ll be fine.” But their registrar really is a bargain-basement service with limited features. Maybe someday they’ll change that.

1 Like

And most can, your DNS doesn’t have to be in the same place as your website, unless you have a host who forces that.

1 Like

Does that mean that if you purchase a domain with cloudflare you, for the most part, must use their hosting service too?
I still don’t get the “you can’t change the nameservers” part in conjunction with the DNS settings they provide (my screenshot)
Could I use GitHub with cloudflare registrar?

Cloudflare generally isn’t a host. They’re a reverse proxy, so if you enter your server’s IP address (as you would with regular DNS), Cloudflare will route that traffic so it’s optimized and protected.

You can. Most hosting platforms are compatible with Cloudflare’s setup.

Your screenshot is pointing your host names to a name server, not a web server.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.