Cloudflare domain, Netlify host. Website is down after working fine for over a year

My website has gone down sometime in I believe the last month or two. I am using Netlify to host it, but I see the “Awaiting External DNS” message next to my domains in Netlify Domain Management. In cloudflare, I set the flattened CNAME record to ‘apex-loadbalancer.netlify.com’ and the www CNAME record to [project name].netlify.app.

I paid for my domain name on cloudflare back in 2022. Now, it’s on the free plan. In my account overview, it still shows the domain name as active. Is it possible that my domain name was moved from a paid plan to a free plan which caused this issue? It was my understanding that the domain name costs around $10 per year, but I have no payments due in my account billing.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

What domain?

If Netlify requires their own systems to be able to detect that you are pointing your DNS record(s) towards them, then you would need to set the Proxy status for the individual AAAA, A or CNAME DNS record(s) to Unproxied (:grey:) / DNS-only.

Thank you for your response!

The domain is teacherjasontaiwan.com

Understood about the proxy status. I changed both records to Unproxied. From what I’ve read, it could take up to 24-48 hours for the DNS to propagate.

The mentioned domain name does not exist.

Can you please check for spelling mistakes, @jkao25?

1 Like

Doesn’t the green active sign at the top mean the domain exists?

Is it possible this has to do with payment? I was under the impression that this domain cost ~$10 per year, but now o\I’m on the free plan. There are no missed billings on my account though.

@jkao25 I agree with @DarkDeviL for what he says:

Here’s what I found from WHOIS:

No, it does not.

Can I ask what Active means?

It means that the added domain is present in your Cloudflare account.

Oh okay. May I ask how to re-register it?

Actually I see how to register the domain again. Thank you for your help! I guess I was confused about the domain being active but not registered. I appreciate the clarification!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.