Cloudflare Domain Command and Control

Cloudflare’s obstruction of access to manage nameservers of the domain I just purchased two days ago is absolutely mindblowing. Inadequate instructions, combined with many inexplicable errors trying to activate services and publish a simple html page, and the lack of support, forced me to sign on with another hosting company today. I planned to point the nameservers accordingly but no instructions and apparently no access to my own domain at Cloudflare. Now I’ve decided to pay twice for the domain and transfer it away from Cloudflare, but they’ve even obstructed my ability to transfer the domain. I can’t reach sales. Both tech and sales recordings say file a ticket, and this ticket form says wait up to three days for a response or post to the “community” forum… so here goes, lets see how long this takes! Wow, upon clicking submit to the forum I get “Account login timed out, please try logging in again.” So for the second time, CAN SOMEONE HELP THE POOR KID!?!

1 Like

Sorry you’ve had a frustrating time. I am not sure what your question is but I’ll happily address some of your points.

just purchased two days ago is absolutely mindblowing. Inadequate instructions, combined with many inexplicable errors trying to activate services and publish a simple html page, and the lack of support, forced me to sign on with another hosting company today.

Cloudflare doesn’t offer traditional hosting services. Were you trying to set up Cloudflare Pages?

I planned to point the nameservers accordingly but no instructions and apparently no access to my own domain at Cloudflare

This isn’t possible as we do require you use our nameservers in the Terms of Service. Specifically:

7.2 nameservers

Registrant agrees to use Cloudflare’s nameservers. REGISTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT IT MAY NOT CHANGE THE NAMESERVERS ON THE REGISTRAR SERVICES, AND THAT IT MUST TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY REGISTRAR IF IT WISHES TO CHANGE NAMESERVERS.

Does your hosting provider require you use their name servers? Most allow you to just set up an A, AAAA or CNAME record pointing to their servers.

Now I’ve decided to pay twice for the domain and transfer it away from Cloudflare, but they’ve even obstructed my ability to transfer the domain.

Are you referring to the ICANN Requirements that a domain not be transferred within 60 days of any changes made to the registration, including new registration of a domain? If so unfortunately that is a requirement and your domain will not be able to be transferred.

3 Likes

The term “hosting” was not intended in the traditional sense, but publishing a website and control of my domain was intended in the traditional sense, and it looks like I’m now caught in the middle of another Registrar/Hosting war and ICANN dysfunction.

I assume the cloud provider I signed on with today requires NS to point to them for much the same reason Cloudflare demands control. If they were to make exception it leaves both them and me subject to interference/latency.

Cloudflare baited me with the “domain at cost” line, and how other companies are so unethical, then locks me into a platform that lacks functionality and support for least sixty days unless I pay to lock in.

Based on what I’ve experienced so far, migrating from Cloudflare might take sixty months.

I appreciate the condolences but merely having a frustrating time is an understatement, not that you intended to understate the frustration. The question was, “how long is this going take and can someone help?” In other words, what is the solution to what has been documented so far and you have in part confirmed?

If that means you have signed up in both instances with a bargain basement provider for services then yes. Cloudflare offers an at cost registrar which is nominally worth it if one understands the restrictions.

For most people this is a non-issue as taking advantage of Cloudflare’s performance and security services are worth it and few hosting providers require you to use their nameservers vs simply pointing to their servers.

4 Likes

What I’ve experienced at Cloudflare has not been performance, unlike what I’ve experienced today with documentation, functionality, and support UX, and yes, they do require NS. I’m sure the high security and performance admin at Cloudfare have the ability to relinquish control of NS. Can you please escalate this to phone contact @ncormier ? Unfortunately I won’t be available until tomorrow, but will be at it early to get this resolved. Thanks!

We do provide phone support for our enterprise accounts, but for a free plan we only provide our Community and our documentation for support.

We do not offer the ability to change nameservers as they are required for our registrar services. You are still just within the window to cancel your registration and receive a refund though. If you are interested I can open a ticket to discuss further details.

Again sorry that the misunderstanding about us offering hosting services and the registrar requirements lead to such frustration.

4 Likes

@cscharff : I discovered better prices and a much better UX (so far) of time-saving support performance from a company that isn’t trying to extract 30%+ from small guys everywhere for a few VCs, execs and stockholders while touting “Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion” in support of “the arts, human rights, civil society, journalism, or democracy… ensuring that at-risk public interest groups stay online” and promising to help make the internet a better place for everyone.

@ncormier : If I cancel registration how do I retain the domain, and if I’m at risk of losing it, how is what you’re offering a timely “Do the right thing” solution?

Apologies aren’t going to help me, but performance will, and I need a solution please today, that isn’t taking up our whole day perpetuating Cloudflare misinformation and a time-consuming four-day “free plan” nightmare. (I’m at minimum in the 50 percentile of general tech experience and capability, so I can only imagine what this would be like for a complete first-timer trying to secure a little bit of domain namespace.)

Cloudflare diversity-equity-and-inclusion page:

“Culture is defined by the behaviors you reward. We created the Cloudflare Capabilities so we could be open and clear about the behaviors that get rewarded at Cloudflare. They are the bedrock of our culture.”

• Be curious to learn and grow
  • Communicate clearly, directly and transparently
  • Do the right thing
  • Embrace diversity to make Cloudflare better
  • Get your work across the finish line
  • Lead with empathy and assume good intentions

Dude… you signed up for an at cost registrar. 30% of 0 profit is (checks calculator) 0.

Cloudflare sucks for a lot of reasons, but they provide free services to tens of millions of domains. Every registrar I have ever used has a better UX than Cloudflare’s. Best of luck with your new one. If they are a ‘better price’ than Cloudflare I’m sure you’ve worked out that they loose money on every deal. Perhaps they make it up in volume. :person_shrugging:

There’s a registrar lock in place. You can move your domain when it expires. If you cancel your purchase nothing stops anyone from buying the domain name that was so cool it has been unpurchased since the inception of DNS.

5 Likes

Open a ticket please so we can “discuss further details” …this is obviously not the forum for connecting the dots of FinTech social dysfunction with real systems ecology and community. My mistake could have been easily avoided by clear docs, two simple caveats and a demo, but that would get in the way of providing “free services to tens of millions of domains” at a very high cost to people and planet, and that is a Cloudflare problem for all of us. We can and must do better, learning our way forward.

:violin: :violin: :violin:

:facepalm:

2 Likes

@ncormier : According to ICANN “FAQs for Registrants: Transferring Your Domain Name” (3) “At their discretion, some registrars may provide an option for you to opt-out of this 60-day lock period.”

@ncormier : the ticket please

@ncormier will get to it when he can. There are timezones, working hours, and shifts.

I’d note the conditionals there, may and at their discretion.

that’s what I was pointing out, and the question remains: Why not?

because it is technically trivial and would be “the right thing” to do, as any reasonable person would expect if they were in the same shoes

I have no say in the decision, but I’d make the exception, if I could of course, only if the other party is being cooperative and doesn’t pretend things be done the way he wants.

exactly, it’s not an issue of insisting on doing it “the way he wants”, it’s just the right thing to do because there’s no downside to doing it compared to a serious sixty day consequence of not doing it. …and to not do it smacks of a ransom threat to use Cloudflare or be punished for taking the bait.

and it could be done by now, especially if you weren’t so short handed from the way you put it and the three day warning for submitting a ticket

the thing to keep in mind here is that you control your domain name servers via your registrar, you are free to set them to any services you like, but if you require the Cloudflare you must point your name servers there, this does not mean losing control of your domain.

I defer to @ncormier to explain, but please don’t until after you’ve opened the ticket as promised.

agreed, this is not Cloudflare support, this is just a bunch of us like you trying to help out in a community forum, we will be interested to hear what reply the official support provides, please keep us posted :slight_smile:

1 Like

absolutely, it’s not like I didn’t want to work with Cloudflare