Cloudflare CDN limitations?

My entire domain is proxied through Cloudflare, using the cloudflare CDN for anything that goes through it.

My question is rather simple, along with the website, under the domain there is a image generating service, which I’m assuming whenever an image is generated / viewed, is cached on Cloudflare and served by it’s CDN. (It’s not right now due to the way the service is serving)

On the Cloudflare Terms Section 2.8 is stated that, and I quote:

Use of the Services for serving video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content is prohibited, unless purchased separately as part of a Paid Service or expressly allowed under our Supplemental Terms for a specific Service

Would I be in breach of this term if a large amount of images served by my image generation service is served through Cloudflare?

I’m asking because I can’t really find any limitations for Cloudflare bandwidth usage / CDN and this term is the only thing close to it, HOWEVER, it does mention unless purchased as part of a Paid Service but there isn’t a plan that says anything about CDN usage

Thank you in advance Cloudflare Community!

There are no hard and fast numbers, but if your domain pops up on the “ridiculous amount of traffic” list at an edge node with terabytes of traffic per month, they’re going to take a look at what kind of traffic it is.

The way you describe it, the image service is not a part of a website, so that puts it outside the allowed use described.

1 Like

The purchased as part of a service refers to the enterprise package. As @sdayman pointed out, the characteristics you are describing are against the 2.8 rule.

The best advice is to route that traffic through a node that is not proxied through Cloudflare.

1 Like

If you have a regular website with images, you are unlikely to have a problem.

If you are using Cloudflare to deliver images to third party sites, you will be outside the allowable behaviour of the standard TOS, so if your image generation service is a business you should talk to sales.

If your website is predominantly an image site you will also be outside the TOS (the disproportionate clause).

Finally, if you have a very, very popular site you will probably also be outside the TOS, and need to be on a paid plan. If your site is that popular the cost of a paid plan is not going to be an issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.