Cloudflare Buenos Aries Datacenter

I know that this topic has been raised before but this is a little issue.
I am currently on Argentina on business and noticed that accessing our sites hosted on our servers in France are going via Miami.

As we have mulitple accounts the account that the site is on is on the ‘Pro’ Plan and uses Argo yet never once we we use the Cloudflare datacenter here.
From searching here the team has stated that is may be the Internet provider however what is concerning is this is never disclosed anywhere that even though we use Argo and on a paid plan are we subject to the routing of the uplink providers. My concern is that from where i am sitting there is no valid reason for us to be even using Argo if here ( and possibly other locations ) can be subjected to routing of the service providers. I understand that Cloudflare does not have any control over this but I think it should be disclosed as many including myself incorrectly thought that by using Argo ( and paying extra ) along with a paid plan we would be using the nearest Cloudflare datacenter.

If I never traveled here I would not have know this and the fact that the ‘Smart Routing’ that Argo supposedly providers is subject to the Internet carriers here.

I have tested 2 providers and BOTH route traffic to the Miami datacenter so I am a little perplexed how any form of traffic can go via the Cloudflare datacenter here as 2 of the biggest providers here to not route our traffic via Cloudflares closest datacenter…does a DC here even exist ?

This would be a good time to contact Support to find out why that website isn’t going through Argentina. Make sure you let them know who your ISP is. A Traceroute to your domain would also help.

Contact support, login to Cloudflare and then contact Cloudflare Support

As for the datacenter, yes, there’s one in Buenos Aires.

Yes i know there is one here as I was being facetious. I already know what support will say as they have said it before to other posts regarding this exact issue.
I am a little perplexed as to your response as I said we have been a customer for over 4 years ( and a partner ) so I am sure replying with the instruction on how to contact support is in no way assisting. All support will say is it is the ISP that makes the routing decisions. Based in this I feel it should be disclosed to the public that there are no guarantees that paying for Argo ( and any paid plan ) that traffic will use the nearest Cloudflare datacenter. There responses are in previous topics.

The problem with your argument is that the whole basis of the internet is that the routes aren’t fixed (see last week’s Google issue). There is no possible way that Cloudflare, nor any other CDN provider, can guarantee that each ISP interconnects with them in the best possible location. This can vary by the second, due to many different factors almost never connected to Cloudflare.

1 Like

A search of Internet exchange point’s may be of interest.

Bad routing can also occur due to notorious public DNS resolver. I would recommend using Cloudflare DNS and test again.

Here’s my case study: I found Cloudflare DNS more reliable than OpenDNS.

1 Like

Thank you for your insight. I will certainly give your advise a go as it was clearly a much better reply than others who would rather pick apart my “so called” argument and steer blame. My whole point was Argo is marketed to ensure the best possible path yet anyone in Argentina will never use the DC in Buenos Aires which makes it a little redundant unless your advise works which I will try now.

Thanks again Ill let you know the outcome.

No one was picking apart anything. Was just simply correcting your statement.

The main misconception here is that Argo is for requests from the DC to the origin, not to the user. That part is left to the ISPs and, in some cases, the public DNS server. This is not the case I believe, since the Cloudflare network is anycast, the are no different replies anywhere in the DNS servers. The path between you (or any user) and Cloudflare is left to the internal routing of the ISPs.

If you were talking to Akamai, Google, and even Cloudfront if I recall correctly, they use EDNS Client Subnet to differentiate different DCs which could allow for DNS servers to have an effect.

I appreciate you pointing that out. It is no huge deal i guess. I was more surprised than anything else.

Gonna reply to the angry post you deleted, without even considering the insulting things in the second part. I did reply with that because I have been around a bit and know how things work with regards to anycast networks and its relation to issues with not passing via specific DCs.

After @sdayman response (which was more than accurate, since there is nothing specific the community can do) you started being rude attacking him. I just merely stepped in to fix a few misconceptions, both in routing, anycast networks and in Cloudflare’s product offering.

Argo isn’t specific to User <-> Cloudflare, but from Cloudflare <-> Origin. I believe it’s stated in the product page. They won’t market anything guaranteeing anything from the user to the DC because they can’t guarantee is, they don’t even guarantee the best route to the origin, they say that it will try to chose the best path (and will give you all stars to check and decide for yourself). No one can (not even the ISP, there can always be some faults or broken hardware).

I appreciate that you realized that your response was needlessly rude and retracted it.

PS: the best thing about being a Leader here is that I don’t really need points or replies, no one of us do that for points :wink:

1 Like

Sooner after writing it I re-read it and it wasn;t deserved hence the deletion. Please accept my apologies again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No worries, I have seen waaay worse and most people don’t even realize or apologize. You’re good!

1 Like