Cloudflare blocked me on TV Tropes for some reason

Just recently I had a sudden shock when trying to preview an edit: My IP appears to be blocked. I can still access the site (thank god), but not edit anything. Cloudflare had been getting a bit overzealous on that site of late, but I never imagined it would get this bad.

Now, I already contacted the staff of TV Tropes, but I need to cover all the bases, so I’m asking here. How long will this block last? What can I do to make it go away? I’m an editor on the site, and today I had been noticing the appearance of captchas on every edit attempt, but I didn’t think too hard on it. I don’t know what triggered it.

And if I have broken some forum rule with this post, please have pacience, since I’m desperate and wouldn’t even be here if I didn’t need help.

It depends on the block. Most of the time, it’s due to an increased security setting by the site owner. Considering you can still access the site, but not perform certain functions, I bet it’s a security setting.

You’ll have to get the site owner to check their Firewall Events Log to see why you’re getting blocked.

And how does the block work exactly? Is it temporary?

I have already tried using their ‘contact us’ feature, but haven’t yet received a reply. If there’s anything else I can do, I would be grateful to hear it.

Well:

What so you see when it happens?

If it’s a cecurity setting configured by the site owner you can’t do anything except waiting for their reply.

1 Like

I see a screen much like the cloudflare catpcha page, except it says “You are blocked” with a big red X symbol. On the bottom it gives me a ray ID and my IP address.

Update: It seems I wasn’t the only one with this problem. TV Tropes seemed to be having issues with properly implementing Cloudflare (they didn’t have it before), and I am no longer blocked as of now.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.