Cloudflare and Strato DNS

Hi Community,

I am new at Cloudflare and wanted to speed up my Wordpress website. My current hosting is with Strato. I changed the NS name servers from Strato to Cloudflare to connect. Now for hours I get a 404 not found on my webshop.

So I changed back to the Strato name servers and deleted my website from Cloudflare. I still get a 404 not found page when I go to my webshop. Is there anyone who can help me?

The website is: www.meerdaneenlintje.nl.

Thank you in advance!

So your DNS is no longer using Cloudflare:

$ dig www.meerdaneenlintje.nl +short
meerdaneenlintje.nl.

But if I run a HTTP request:

$ curl -svo /dev/null https://www.meerdaneenlintje.nl/
> GET / HTTP/2
> Host: www.meerdaneenlintje.nl
> user-agent: curl/7.77.0
> accept: */*
>
< HTTP/2 200
< date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 16:57:44 GMT
< content-type: text/html
< vary: x-forwarded-for,User-Agent
< cf-cache-status: DYNAMIC
< report-to: {"endpoints":[{"url":"https:\/\/a.nel.cloudflare.com\/report\/v3?s=pVkcuMilcY0%2B46KZTMwTxxxv0ibN3TyWWzanhnPlINoPudv3yv%2FtvPXwK%2FJiESCVV6ZNuxrKruZrTVJWkJ9ep%2BtOlomSO%2FOG0iTEjVwLbHkGfc5jItyA06enW2%2FL%2FIxhKzqOCo4X2OQTYA%3D%3D"}],"group":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
< nel: {"success_fraction":0,"report_to":"cf-nel","max_age":604800}
< server: Apache/2.4.52 (Unix)
< cf-ray: 6e7ca1d3cff46967-FRA
< alt-svc: h3=":443"; ma=86400, h3-29=":443"; ma=86400
<
{ [4545 bytes data]
* Connection #0 to host www.meerdaneenlintje.nl left intact

We can see some Cloudflare headers such as cf-ray and cf-cache-status among others, but this repsonse is coming from your origin server < server: Apache/2.4.52 (Unix). That tells us that your origin server is somehow proxying traffic back to Cloudflare behind the scenes.

The best way to fix this is to check with your hosts and double check the configuration of your origin - it is sending traffic back via Cloudflare and not respecting public DNS. It may be the server has a stale DNS cache.

As for why the error is happening via Cloudflare - one thing to check is that your DNS settings in Cloudflare are exactly correct for your origin server. Whatever origin server you have configured for www.meerdaneenlintje.nl is returning that holding page response.

3 Likes

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your prompt reaction. I have reached out to my hosting provider, but still do not have answers.

I am very new to DNS settings and how this works. I do not know what I have to see in my Cloudflare settings. Is it possible to delete all my connection with Cloudfare in a way and that I can get back to my old website?

I am really desperate atm because I have spent this weekend to update my old webshop and did not do a back-up.

Can you please help?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Joppe

You can delete the domain from Cloudflare - this may force your origin to resolve the DNS correctly but impossible to say. You really need your hosting provider because your origin server is not configured correctly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.