Cloudflare and hide IP address

Hello,
Can Cloudflare hide my web server IP address? For example, when I ping the domain, it shows a different IP address instead of the real IP address of the web server.

Thank you.

Greetings,

Thank you for asking.

If you’re using Cloudflare for your domain and the desired DNS records are proxied :orange:, then in short answer yes. Cloudflare can hide your web server’s real IP address.
Without Cloudflare :orange: proxy, DNS lookups, pings, etc. for your Website’s URL would return the original (source) IP address of your origin server/host.

When you proxy specific DNS records through Cloudflare - specifically A, AAAA, or CNAME records — DNS queries for these will resolve to Cloudflare Anycast IPs instead of their original DNS target. This means that all requests intended for proxied hostnames will go to Cloudflare first and then be forwarded to your origin server. This allows Cloudflare to optimize, cache, and protect all requests for your website.

More about how Cloudflare proxy :orange: works:

1 Like

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I have some questions:

1. Does the Cloudflare proxy forward to the real address of my web server?

2. Are all protocols supported? For example, I want to create an OpenVPN server, but I want to use the Cloudflare address instead of the actual server address.

3. Is this feature free?

Hello,

1. Yes. Cloudflare acts as a MiTM proxy so both your server and your clients will only connect to Cloudflare’s network, it will not leak your server’s real IP address.
  2. No, but you could look into Cloudflare Zero Trust.
  3. Yes, proxying your traffic is completely free.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.