Cloudflare active, but cache not working

Hi,
I installed Cloudflare on my website annette-gerwin.de .
The tool gtmetrix com says I should use a CDN.
It seems like the Cloudflare cache is not working.
Cloudflare is “active” and the caching level is set to “Standard”.
Do you have an idea, what I am doing wrong?
Thanks a lot,
Jan

The annette-gerwin.de DNS record is not :orange: Proxied. The www record is, though,

You’ll have to click Edit for annette-gerwin.de, then toggle the proxy status ON.

Hi sdayman,

thank you very much for your fast reply!

I disabled it, because otherwise I recive automatic emails from my webhoster:

“Extension of the SSL certificate for domain annette-gerwin.de failed”.

“To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain contain(s) the right IP address.”

I added A records with “*” and “annette-gerwin.de” using the correct ip address, but it did not work. :-/

Do you also have an idea how to solve this?

I just turned the proxy status on and tried to renew an existing ssl certificate on my webhosters website.
With proxy on I get this error: “Error: Let’s Encrypt validation failed”.

@homepage

I’m not able to reproduce the same. Seems its fixed now!

1 Like

Hi @neiljay ,

thanks for your reply!

I disabled Cloudflare, renewed the SSL certificate and enabled Cloudflare again.
I have to do this every 90 days. :-/

Do you have an idea how to solve this / what could be the problem?

If you are using CF universal certificate, By default, Cloudflare issues — and renews — free, unshared, publicly trusted SSL certificates to all Cloudflare domains. Read here:

I believe the OP is referring to the server certificate.

Hi @sandro ,

you are right, thank you.
When I want to activate my own ssl certificate in my webhosters customer area, I get this error:

“Extension of the SSL certificate for domain annette-gerwin.de failed.
To fix these errors, please make sure that your domain name was entered correctly and the DNS A/AAAA record(s) for that domain contain(s) the right IP address.”

I added A records with “*” and “annette-gerwin.de” using the correct ip address, but it did not work – it only works without Cloudflare. :-/

What do I need to do, to make my own certificate work with Cloudflare?

The easiest will be to get an Origin certificate

They can be issued from within Cloudflare’s control panel and you can even specify a validity of several years.

LE certificates, unfortunately, are often tricky to renew when the proxies are active.

1 Like