Cloudflare Access email is not working consitently

Cloudflare Access with email auth is not working as expected. Some team members are getting their pin straight away, while others don’t get it after 20 min, that patter isn’t consistent, those same members that got their emails right ways today, won’t get it tomorrow.
I see many similar issues related to this in this forum (here or here), but still there is no solution, it always seems to be a temporary issue, the problems is that is not that temporary, every day it will fail for random member of the teams, so it fails consistently but to random people, is there a solution for this? Also, there is no logs to see why it fails.

Have you taken a look at the mail headers for timestamps at the various servers along the way?

No, I will check and let you know, but I have 2 accounts with Cloudflare and it is failing the same way on both, one of those accounts is using @gmail.com emails to do the auth and still the same problem.

1 Like

@sdayman, Looking at email headers, the first step says 23 Aug 2021 09:24:40 -0400 which it is exactly 20 min after the email was requested. All steps after that take seconds…

We checked few cases, and they all take exactly 20 min for the first step

Received: from mta-87-158.sparkpostmail.com (mta-87-158.sparkpostmail.com [192.174.87.158])
    by atl4mhib32.registeredsite.com (8.14.4/8.14.4) with ESMTP id XXXXXXX
    (version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128 verify=NO)
    for <[email protected]>; Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:24:40 -0400

Open a ticket and show them all the headers from that message. Maybe they can track down the delay.
support AT cloudflare DOT com and post the ticket # here.

Thanks @sdayman, here is the ticket number #2237822

1 Like

For anyone else following along, the provider in this case does appear to be delaying messages - our sending system is logging the following:

421 4.4.0 [internal] no mail servers for this domain could be reached at this time

So in this case, it means the mail provider a the recipient is triggering delays - contacting them is the right next step to figure out why that may be happening.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.