Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 Cannot Resolve any McGill.ca Subdomains

Not sure how similar this post is to a previous one here but it seems like the Cloudflare resolver 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 both cannot resolve almost any mcgill.ca subdomains.

For example, output from nslookup:

nslookup
> server 1.1.1.1
Default server: 1.1.1.1
Address: 1.1.1.1#53
> alumni.mcgill.ca
Server: 1.1.1.1
Address: 1.1.1.1#53
** server can't find alumni.mcgill.ca: SERVFAIL

> server 8.8.8.8
Default server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
> alumni.mcgill.ca
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: alumni.mcgill.ca
Address: 132.206.30.137

Same thing for other subdomains such as proxy.library.mcgill.ca, for example.

Any ideas on how I should bring this up to the University’s IT department, what I should suggest they do? Thanks.

It is the same issue.
You can get the contact information either from Google or the whois record for mcgill.ca

whois mcgill.ca | grep Name\ Server
Name Server: ns1.zonerisq.ca
Name Server: ns2.zonerisq.ca
Name Server: pens1.mcgill.ca
Name Server: pens2.mcgill.ca

nslookup alumni.mcgill.ca ns1.zonerisq.ca
Server:		ns1.zonerisq.ca
Address:	162.219.54.2#53

*** Can't find alumni.mcgill.ca: No answer

nslookup alumni.mcgill.ca ns2.zonerisq.ca
Server:		ns2.zonerisq.ca
Address:	162.219.55.2#53

Thanks for your reply. I’ve reached out to McGill Uni. IT and they confirm that this issue is only with Cloudflare DNS and have received similar reports lately. This subdomain, along with the others, are fully resolvable on the internet when using other DNS providers such as Google, OpenDNS, etc.

In fact, this issue is somewhat intermittent when using Cloudflare DNS (happens every couple of weeks and lasts about a month when it occurs), and may be dependent on which of Cloudflare’s servers is being used to query the DNS - thus an inconsistency across cloudflare servers.

A link such as this shows that the subdomain (and all others tested) are resolvable across the world - https://dnschecker.org/#A/alumni.mcgill.ca

I should also mention this issue is widespread for those users using Cloudflare DNS, independent of device/OS (macOS, Windows 10, iOS, etc.).

McGill IT also mentioned the following to me:

Essentially, what you are seeing with ns[1,2].zonerisq.ca is normal as it is only authoritative for mcgill.ca, not the sub zones so the DNS resolver should go on and query for the delegation record for alumni.mcgill.ca and then use one of the resulting servers to resolve the entry.

> server ns1.zonerisq.ca
Default server: ns1.zonerisq.ca
Address: 162.219.54.2#53
> set type=ns
> alumni.mcgill.ca
Server:		ns1.zonerisq.ca
Address:	162.219.54.2#53

Authoritative answers can be found from:
alumni.mcgill.ca	nameserver = pens1.mcgill.ca.
alumni.mcgill.ca	nameserver = pens2.mcgill.ca.
pens1.mcgill.ca	internet address = 132.206.44.69
pens2.mcgill.ca	internet address = 132.206.44.70

Please advise on how we can escalate this issue further, or if more diagnostic information is required.

1 Like

Hi, sorry about that, it seems like the nameservers are unreachable from some of our PoPs. I’ll investigate.

3 Likes

Thank you for your help. Please let me know if you require any additional information on my end. As I mentioned, it’s been ~12 weeks now with this issue.

EDIT: I should note that the mcgill.ca nameservers have temporarily been switched, but will be switched back to the original ns1.zonerisq.ca and ns2.zonerisq.ca soon. Meanwhile though, the issue remains with zonerisq.ca nameservers being unreachable from Cloudflare DNS (even though McGill.ca website may load fine now, problem will reoccur soon when they switch back).

We sent an email to RISQ and it seems to be fixed (as of 2 days ago). We didn’t get a response so I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence or it’s really fixed. Please do post if you encounter any more problems with the subdomains.

2 Likes