CLI Tunnel not connecting via CNAME'd subdomain

Hi all, I had this working with a different domain before, so I know it is possible.

I want dev.mydomain to connect to my localhost:3000.

1. I installed cloudflared, brew install cloudflared
  2. Ran cloudflared tunnel login, logged in and selected the domain mydomain.com
  3. Ran cloudflared tunnel create mydomain-dev
  4. Went in and created the [cloudflared-home]/config.yml file, with the created tunnel’s UID.
  5. Ran cloudflared tunnel route dns mydomain-dev dev.mydomain which added the CNAME correctly
  6. Ran cloudflared tunnel start mydomain-dev
    Cannot load the site, getting a Argo 1033 error.

I notice that when running tunnel start above, a random URL at trycloudflare is generated and indeed loads the local site correctly. But I thought it was supposed to load via the CNAME dev.mydomain → [UID]. cfargotunnel.com too.

And what is weirder, I did this same flow last week and had it work just as expected. Anyone see what I missed in the current process?

Thanks!
Brendan

Hi Brendan,

According to Cloudflare, if you’re getting an Argo 1033 error, this means your tunnel wasn’t connected to Cloudflare’s network at the time:

You can start by running “cloudflared tunnel list” to see the list of connections from your tunnel.

Then, I would suggest looking at the debug logs in the “cloudflared” pods. The logs might give us more insight into what’s going wrong.

I hope these suggestions help you.