Just found the KB article for Load Balancer Billing and I am a bit confused as to the billing based on origins and region based subscription https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005254367-Billing-for-Load-Balancing. Any clarification would be great
My current account with load balancer enabled was with the early private beta testing of the Traffic Manager API, so not sure when I will be billed or for how much ?
I have currently the following for this 1 domain enabled with Load balancer(s)
- 3 load balancers, 2 created during beta testing pure API setups and 3rd one created in GUI dashboard to test how to use the GUI method
- The 2x load balancers created during beta API testing have setup geo-steering across 11 of the 13 geo regions with 1x pool within each geo region and the same 8x pools assigned across those 11 geo regions. So for the 2x load balancers, I am using 2x11 = 22 geo regions with 2x 8 = 16 pools and 2x 8 = 16 origins. There is only 8x pools just assigned across both loadbalancer’s 11 geo regions. So if you count unique pools there is only 8x pools used for the 11 geo regions and default pool.
- 3rd load balancer only has created the default origin pool from existing pool with 1x origin assigned
- Monitor’s healthcheck intervals are 15s with 5s timeout and 2 retries - there’s 2 monitors created one active in use and other just created for testing - both created during beta API testing
- DNS queries wise, traffic is close to nothing as it’s on a test domain
How much does Load Balancing cost?
Load Balancing subscriptions begin at $5 - $50 per month, based on your selected subscription options. The number of origins, health check frequency, the number of regions checked from and geo-routing can be configured to fit your specific requirements. The $5 subscription allows you to configure 2 origins, 60 second health checks and checks from two (2) regions: ideal for straightforward load balancing or failover.
In addition to the monthly subscription, we will count the number of DNS requests (“queries”) for each configured Load Balancer, per month. The first 500,000 queries, shared across all Load Balancers in your account, are free: additional usage beyond this is charged at 50 cents per 500,000 queries, rounded up to the next 500k queries.