Clarification on content delivery network usage and file limitations

Hi there!

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to seek some clarification regarding the usage of Cloudflare’s Content Delivery Network (CDN) and related file limitations for my website, which provides a CMS for creating blog-style websites with occasional audio or video files.

To provide a brief overview, my CMS allows clients to connect their domains and publish articles, which may include audio or video files, each limited to a maximum of 20 megabytes. Currently, I leverage Cloudflare for hosting domains, benefiting from efficient caching that significantly reduces the load on my origin server.

Upon reviewing the terms and conditions, I came across a statement that caught my attention: “Cloudflare reserves the right to disable or limit your access to or use of the CDN if you use or are suspected of using the CDN without Paid Services to serve video or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other large files.”

I have a few specific questions:

1. File Size Limitation: Is the current limit of 20 megabytes per file considered reasonable, or do you recommend additional controls, such as limiting the quantity of files?
  2. “Disproportionate Percentage”: Could you provide more clarity on what would be considered a “disproportionate percentage” of pictures, audio files, or other large files? Are there specific thresholds or guidelines?
  3. Actions Taken by Cloudflare: In the event that one of my clients uploads a disproportionately large number of files (each within the 20-megabyte limit), would Cloudflare’s actions, if taken, affect the entire Cloudflare account or only the specific domain in question?

I appreciate any insights or guidance you can provide to ensure that my usage aligns with Cloudflare’s policies. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Best regards,
Lisandro

From your description, this is a regular website that incorporates multimedia as part of its article content. That’s ok.

1. 20MB isn’t unreasonable. If it’s part of the article, that’s normal usage.
  2. There’s no hard rule, other than don’t abuse the system. It also takes a pretty high level of abuse to raise any red flags.
  3. You’ll get a warning. Often in the form of a placeholder file alerting to overuse of bandwidth in addition to an email. If you choose to ignore that warning, your entire account (plus that domain) can be banned. Again, it takes a pretty high level of abuse to get to that point.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.