Chargeback questions

Hi, I am new to cloudflare but our company has an account with you.

I was wondering if you could help me just a little bit. I just started a new job as a data analyst for an upstart online retailer. We received some chargebacks from 3 different customers in 3 different states, CA, NV and TX that all used the same IP address 172.68.211.254 Our sales # is very small so 3 from the same address sticks out like a sore thumb. When I did a search it said it belonged to cloudflare.

When I first saw it I thought it was fraud…how could 3 different people very far away from each other use the same IP address? I was wondering since you own the IP address if you could help me understand what happened or may have happened.

We could block this address from future sales but what if that is a legitimate address and this occurs for other addresses also then we would be blocking good sales.

Any help anyone could provide would be very much appreciated. thank you!!

Welcome! Say hello!

Your company is most likely not rewritting IP addresses but proxies requests through Cloudflare’s network. That means visitor requests will show up with Cloudflare’s addresses instead of their actual ones. You should not block that IP address, as you’d block access to your site otherwise.

For now I’d suggest to start rewriting IP addresses. As for these three case, if you didnt record the original addresses somewhere it will be difficult to impossible to trace where they actually originated from.