Changing Server IP for a DNS

Hello I am trying to change the IP address of the end server hosting my content but keep the original Domain Name.

I go to my DNS for the root domain and in the content box I change the IP from the old server to the new. I know the new content is being loaded because there are slight changes in the content but the references for the wordpress site breaks entirely to the point where I cannot even enter its wp-admin page to find alternative solutions. Is there something in addition to the content for the DNS that needs to be altered to complete the change?

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

If you updated your IP addresses in Cloudflare DNS, that should be enough.

What’s the domain?

Thank you for your response

The Domain is https://ipfortress.info/ , I also changed the wp-config.php to include
define(‘WP_HOME’, ‘http://ipfortress.info’);
define(‘WP_SITEURL’, ‘http://ipfortress.info’);
Otherwise my site’s url will stay as its hosting server’s IP.

There are some Mixed Content errors. Change WP_HOME and WP_SITEURL so they have https. That should help with some of the issues.

Here are some other ideas:

That does look like the problem and I tried some of its solutions but it is still erroring out, the perplexing part is it shouldn’t be HTTPS at all as the new site does not have a SSL certificate yet, my only guess is cloudflare is trying to copy it over from the previous server but in cloudflares TLS/SSL it doesn’t really have an option to refresh SSL, am I on the right track here in terms of what im looking for?

That’s quite an obstacle. Can you get one? Cloudflare can provide one:

Do this before the Domain is setup? I thought the certificate had to be linked to the domain and not just the IP

You said your domain was already set up on the new IP address.

You are right, I took it off to get the CSS problems fixed but I wound up reassigning to the new server and fixing the SSL but still working on the CSS, I thought adding CSS would fix the mixed content issue but unfortunately not so much.

I noticed that the API backend is failing to connect as well, not really sure as to why though, the correct port is open, can they both have the same certificate/pem? In cloudflare its set as the api for the same domain just a different server

The first obstacle I see is still Mixed Content. If you can edit your .htaccess file, put this in there:

<ifModule mod_headers.c>
Header always set Content-Security-Policy "upgrade-insecure-requests;"
</IfModule>

As for the API, which port are you using?

You are a LIFESAVER that fixed it exactly, can you please explain to me why this is an external add on in addition to SSL?

I’m opening port 13000 for the api, do I need to have a wordpress install for the backend server as well? I don’t believe I would because there’s no end user content they need to see but doesn’t the frontend server need a httpd to access it through DNS? I can hit the IP easily, just everything seems to error out trying to reach the api domain

If a site isn’t configured for HTTPS from the get-go, you’re going to have some latent URLs with HTTP instead of HTTPS. If you can’t track them all down, you can tell the browser to automatically convert all of them to HTTPS.

It sounds like your API is for something else. Cloudflare only proxies HTTP/S traffic over a limited set of ports. If your API isn’t HTTP/S traffic, or you can’t change the port, you’ll have to tie it to a subdomain that’s DNS-Only (:grey:).

1 Like

Thank you for that explanation.

I think I misunderstood you, that port is what I’m communicating with for some backend scripts, I do have the backend server as a record with DNS-Only(cloud) with the name as api (shorted from api.domain.info by cloudflare).

I assigned the IP of a server to a newly created record is there another step needed so that the frontend can reach the scripts through the DNS isntead of the IP?

##Error Changed
Error is now ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED, im checking over firewall rules hoping thats it

1 Like

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN is usually cached for an hour. If you tried the connection before the record existed or was propagated, you may have to wait an hour for the failed lookup to be purged from cache.

I use dnschecker.org to test DNS propagation.

1 Like

That is a fantastic tool I am bookmarking, I checked it and the IP is correct and allowed the port needed through my firewall. I’m now getting the ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR, I’m thinking it’s because it isn’t HTTPS, can I use the same certificate as the initial domain? It was built for both api.domain.info and the domain.info.

If it needs HTTP Im assuming it will need a server like apache as well or will that not be necessary? If so do I need the whole LAMP stack if theres no pages to serve (PHP) and then no need for a database to serve the pages (mysql)?

1 Like

For server configuration questions, I suggest you give stackoverflow.com a try.

1 Like

Thank you I will reach out to them, but I have one more question.

Does the second server need a different SSL certificate than the main if they both have the same domain? Im having trouble getting apache back up when SSL is active with the same method I used to get the SSL on the primary but I can reach the index when it is inactive

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.