Changing nameservers through CloudFlare's API

Hey everyone,

On reddit someone posted about an API endpoint that lets you modify the nameservers for a domain registered with Cloudflare.

I haven’t tried it yet, but would there be any risk to using it? It is an officially documented API option, but would this mess up the domain registration when the nameservers change and Cloudflare automatically removes it as a zone?

Thanks

Hi mratmeyer, is this perhaps the API you’re looking for?

https://api.cloudflare.com/#registrar-domains-update-domain

1 Like

Yep, that’s the one they found…but does it break stuff? Like if they want to use third-party name servers? I think @thedaveCA experimented with this and cobbled something together, but wasn’t sure if it’d be stable or not.

I ask because of all the :frowning_face: :sob: :rage: :exploding_head: when people realize they can’t use other name servers with Cloudflare Registrar.

I wasn’t brave enough to wait and see. But I might have a domain I can dispose of shortly, I might test to see if Cloudflare ever removes it because the nameservers are wrong.

Hey, maybe I could change the nameservers to match another plan to move the domain so that it is well and truly orphaned? (Don’t do this with a domain you like owning)

1 Like