Changing A records to CNAMEs in CNAME setup CloudFlare

cdn

We are switching web hosting providers to Word Press who recommend the use of CNAMEs but our current DNS configuration in CloudFlare uses A records for root and www subdomain pointing to same IP of existing provider. Can I change these to CNAME records of Word Press and if so do I also need to change CNAME flattening to “all”?

0 Likes

You can certainly switch to CNAMEs. It’s up to you if you want to flatten all CNAMEs. That’s what I do for my CNAME records. You’re on a Pro plan or above?

0 Likes

We are on a Business Plan

0 Likes

Just curious as to why you do that? I mean I know we built the feature for a reason, but hasn’t been something I considered using, so since you’re a real life internet-type person who does this… please tell me more.

0 Likes

I do this to obfuscate the destination host. CNAME points to a mail host.

1 Like

But you still know the IP if you just resolve it… all you hide is a somewhat meaningless hostname - either in your domain (what’s to hide?) or the name of the hosting company (that a WHOIS on the IP and maybe even simple telnet to port 25 of the CNAME - will tell you…)

What am I missing?

0 Likes

Performance is one use case. Saves your resolver one (or more…) query when one has to go to DNS. This could in some cases be a matter of seconds added to the user experience…

0 Likes

closed #8

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes